243 wssm build ??????

aglass1987

I currently do alot of varmint and coyote hunting at long ranges. I have a model 70 243 wssm super shadow(plain bottom of the line model 70) I use sierra 55gr and 85gr loads. I get excellent groups with the rifle. But I noticed that you do not hear much about people using a model 70. Why? But my question is about install a varmint barrel. Where would I look for one at? And would I have to find a actually winchester barrel or could it be a remington. I have never swapped a barrel before so I am lost. I wont be change the barrel myself, but I have a buddy thats a excellent gunsmith thats gonna do it for me. I just need to know where and what to look for.

your buddy that's the excellent gunsmith would be the one to ask. not trying to sound like a smarta-- but if he's gonna do it, he should be discussing with you what to get and just as importantly,what not to get.

I currently do alot of varmint and coyote hunting at long ranges. I have a model 70 243 wssm super shadow(plain bottom of the line model 70) I use sierra 55gr and 85gr loads. I get excellent groups with the rifle. But I noticed that you do not hear much about people using a model 70. Why? But my question is about install a varmint barrel. Where would I look for one at? And would I have to find a actually winchester barrel or could it be a remington. I have never swapped a barrel before so I am lost. I wont be change the barrel myself, but I have a buddy thats a excellent gunsmith thats gonna do it for me. I just need to know where and what to look for.

Go with a Custom barrel and have your smith install it. Not a factory barrel.

You will spend a lot of money getting a factory barrel installed and it may not
shoot very good.

J E CUSTOM

I have a 243 wssm in the stealth II model. Heavy barrel and the synthetic stock that I use for dogs. its a real good shooter with the 58 gr. V-max .I have checked into gettig it upgraded so I can shoot the Berger 105 or 115 bullets which requires a 1in 8 twist barrel. The biggest problem that I have found is that the winchester brass has a thick neck and is somewhat "lumpy" which requires turning the neck down on each case. It is a lot of extra work to make into a tack driver and the smiths I have talked to say its easier to work up the 243 win. I will keep my 243wssm but I am now building a 243 AI to shoot the heavier bullets. I don't know if any of this helps or not.

The 85gr shoots better in mine than the 55gr. I mean the 55gr group good, but the 85gr makes tighter groups. I tried 100 gr factory ammo in mine and it didnt group hardly enough for a point blank range shot. gun)

You real might want to consider the custom barrel as mentioned. I have a M70 Coyote action in .243 wssm, with a 30' in Pac Nor 1-8 twist polygonal match barrel… dropped into a McMillan A2 adjustable Tac stock; glass is a Nightforce 5.5 22x56; This combo is a 1k death ray, using 107gr Sierra match kings. I started shooting at first with Tubbs; DTAC 115gr. which is a "great" bullet, but it requires; 1-7.5 or 1-7 twist to really stabilize them. This cartridge is at its best with heavier bullets, the cartridge seems to have an inherit accuracy potential as cartridges go. The powder of choice here is H4350 I run the 107gr'ers at 3050 fps, I could easily push it up quite a bit with no pressure, but I don't really need more for 1k and it gives me longer barrel life.

Last edited:
I have a collection of new SS barrels in a variety of contours/calibers/twists all manufactured by a variety of US marquee barrel makers.

Exactly what are you interested in?

I will second the opinion that you should discuss this with your gunsmith. If you trust him enough to build your rifle, then trust him enough to value his opinion. Internet "Experts" are a dime a dozen and will not be of any help if, and when, any problems should appear.

What is your O.A.L. on the 107's? Any problems with magazine length? Do you turn the necks on your brass? Who reamed the chamber for you? Do you mind if I PM you? I have been looking for some info and maybe you can help me.

RH300UM

On the 243 WSSM, the OAL off the "meplat" is 2.5095" using a 107gr Sierra Mk, off he "ogive" it measures; 1.9355" inches. As for magazine feeding, I have a Sinclair magazine block in it; I never thought about feeding them through the magazine; I don't believe it would be a problem; the action had a 7mm WSM in before I re-barreled it.
Neck turning; I hit them just enough on the outside to make them round after sizing in Redding Sizer Die; After that, I put them into a Sinclair/Wilson expander mandrel. The reamer came from Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc.
The barrel work was done by George Vais in Boise, Idaho
If you'd like to pm, that's fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.