.243 Win & Berger 95 gr VLD load

There are conflicting internet forum posts on the question if 95 gr VLD bullets will stabilize long range with 10" twist.

There are those adamant that it will and those that it will not.

I have 8" and 10" twist barrels and some 95 gr VLD, but I have not experimented with long range.

I do know that 14" twist will stabilize 75 gr Vmax short range, but not long range.

I have tried quite a few different powders with the 95gr Bergers and the best results that I have achieved for accuracy and velocity by far is 42.2gr Reloder17 powder, OAL 2.890".

Question to little black. How many grains of powder are you running with Rl-19, what cases , and what is your COAL?
Might try your load out. :)

Last edited:
The powder is Rl17 NOT 19, charge is 42.2gr and COAL is 2.890". I had the throat re-done on my gun.

My best groups have come with 45.5 grains of RL22 and 42.4 grains of RL 19. Both using CCi BR2 primers seated at 2.810. The RL22 load is max by bergers data. While working up to that load I found that my accuracy increased as I increased the charge. I havent worked up past the max yet as i havent seen any signs of pressure yet in my expoeriences. I'm shooting down a factory savage barrel. I'm gonna try the H414 and tinker with the RL22 a little more next.

RL 22 and short bearing surface of 95VLD allows up to 46.5 per quick load data and my experiences without excessive pressure--in my rifle. Impressive groups and velocity.

There are conflicting internet forum posts on the question if 95 gr VLD bullets will stabilize long range with 10" twist.

There are those adamant that it will and those that it will not.

I have 8" and 10" twist barrels and some 95 gr VLD, but I have not experimented with long range.

I do know that 14" twist will stabilize 75 gr Vmax short range, but not long range.

How do you figure those bullets become unstabilized? Do you groups just open up?

My 243 has a 22" barrel. I shoot 95 grain NBT seated almost on the lands. .002 off. 35 grains of Varget. Fed match primer. Shoots near one hole at 100 yards. Last time I shot it at any distance was 500 yards. Wind was gusting between 2 and6 mph. Group was 1" vertical and 2.5" wide. Due to the varying wind. Also it's a 1:10 twist. Hope this helps. Oh and my data shows 2887 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.