243 vs 308

Fair points, but I honestly don't believe the Creedmoor is a long range hunting cartridge. 500 yards maybe...
It reinvented the wheel some, but so did the most cartridges the came after the 30-06, the 300 Weatherby reinvented the 300 H&H. The .260 reinvented the 6.5x55. So on and so on....

This is true...No denying that. Hell, I still don't feel comfortable knowing those folks would be out there trying to shoot at game at 500 yards. LOL

Well it was never intended to be a long range hunting round. Although it can be used for long range hunting on the smaller scale of game like whitetails. It still holds 1000 ftlbs out to 600-800 yards depending on the load which is plenty

I know it wasn't, but a lot of folks think just because you can hit a target means it's capable. They don't take the time to study ballistics and bullet tech and things of that nature to know their cartridges limitations.

This is true...No denying that. Hell, I still don't feel comfortable knowing those folks would be out there trying to shoot at game at 500 yards. LOL

I know it wasn't, but a lot of folks think just because you can hit a target means it's capable. They don't take the time to study ballistics and bullet tech and things of that nature to know their cartridges limitations.

Sounds like my grandfather when he tells me his 6mm rem is a 1000 yard deer cartridge. I just shake my head

I just purchased my second 6.5 Creedmoor.
But I have several other cartridges.
They all kinda do what the Creed does, but it does it with less powder, wide node and less recoil.
I can load 3-4 Creedmoor cases to one of my 338 Lapua cases. I will always have a Creedmoor in my safe. No one can deny the case design and efficiency of it.
I agree it brought a lot of fan boys, but there are supporters for everything. It brought a lot of attention to the long range game because of the rifles and ammo that's available for it. There is not to many cartridges out there that you can go to Walmart and buy factory ammo, take it out and dial 8mils of elevation and hit 1000 yard plates. All for about 25$...
All that said, I have several rifles but I guess I could be called a 30-06 supporter, because that's my favorite..:D
5inch plates your saying, that's good my little dasher will tear up some clays at 1000 if I'm calm. I went and shot with some guys the other day they were shooting from 550 to 1600 I had my little 260 I don't use a phone or nothing just shoot, one guy had a Rem 700 in 300winmag he was shooting factories in it, I laughed to myself he has a 550 barrel and shooting factories and complaining cause he was missing targets, when you get a custom barrel you would think a person would reload and get his moneys worth. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.