243/Retumbo/100gr

Ksmirk

Ok fella's first off I know that this is not the best powder for 100gr. bullets but it rocks with the 107smk's and being I have close to 10# I was wondering your thoughts about loading some 100gr BTSP Speer bullets for some deer. My 308 finally crapped out and the barrel went South and there is no way I can get it re-barreled in time so I just thought I'd load up some bullets for deer. I have a case full of the Retumbo with the 107's and really don't know if I could get enough of the Retumbo in the case for the 100gr. bullets? let me have your opinions here folks. Later,

Kirk

IMO...Retumbo is a bit slow burning...even for the 107's...but if it works for you, use it.

You're probably not gonna get a good "seal" around the brass with the 100's and Retumbo...but that's just a guess because I have never tried it.

Look for soot (black stuff around the neck...maybe also on the upper 1/3 of the brass).

Yes the Retumbo is right on the edge of being too slow with the 107's! I get a little ring about 1/16" of soot on the neck the 4350 would have a clean neck but I just never could get good groups so I just deal with the little ring of soot, get out the steel wool and make it go away. I was told about some powder I belive Hogdon is making Hybrid 100V that is supposed to be great for the 100 and 107's trick I'm having is finding some around town. Thanks I pretty much figured the Retumbo would be too slow but I just needed someone to verify for me :D Later,

Kirk

I'd agree that it's going to be too slow for anything lighter than the 105/107s. I shoot 105 Scenars with Retumbo and unless I stay close to the top, it's not consistent. For lighter bullets, I'd go to H4350.

I like Alliant Reloder 19 for 100 grain bullets in 243...it gets the best overall performance in my guns...best mix of speed and accuracy.

Has anyone got to try any of the Hybrid 100V powder yet? the charts I have looked at is stating it to be a good powder for both the 100 and 105-107gr bullets but have yet to see any in town yet to try out. Later,

Kirk

it was IMR 4350. I tried a couple different bullets,but H4831sc always grouped much better,even with lighter bullets.

That was a good read, pretty much what I have found to be about norm for this rifle so far. Never could get the A-Max to shoot what I thought was good and the powder is still a bit slow for even the 107 SMK's BUT the velocity is 3050fps on the nose and the deviation's are 8-11fps for 5 rounds so far just can't wait til I can get it out past 500 yards, it's sad when a rifle is getting boring to shoot at 500 yards! Thanks Sendero_Man for the link. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts