.243 reloading

tika100

I have a Rugar .243 and I am trying to find some information on reloading. I am using CCI primers, Sierra Blitz king 70 grain bullets, and Hodgdon H414 rifle powder with a 45 grain charge. I want to know if what I am using is ok or should I use different bullets, powder, or what else. I use this gun for killing groundhogs and deer.

Deerhunter,
The 70gr blitzking will do a fine job on the groundhogs it is a varmint bullet designed to explode on impact.
For deer it wouldn't be a very good choice due to lack of penetration.Unless of coarse you hunt very small deer >60 lbs or less.
If you have a reloading manual it will have many loads and bullet weights for your rifle.In a 243 a bullet in the "80-100 gr game bullet" will be good deer medicine.There are many good manuals out there ,i have 2 and will be getting more.A sierra,nosler,lee,hornady,etc.ect. manual will give you lots of knowledge that you'll enjoy for years.Best of luck with your reloading and hunting. Mike

I am shooting a Sako 243 and my brother is shooting a Ruger 243. We both have loads that will hold shoot sub 1/2MOA with 85 gr bullets with 45 gr H414 for me and 44.5 gr in the Ruger. I am getting 3400 fps with the 85 gr NP in my Sako.

Back years ago when my Win. 70 .243 was my only rifle I went through most all of the bullets I could find for it. I finially settled on the 85gr Nosler Solid base for just about everything. Then after a couple of not so stellar results on the deer I made the move to the 95gr BT.

The best thing about it at the time was that Barnes had the 90gr, and Nosler had the 95 in both the BT and the Part. I worked up a load using 42grs. of H-4350 which will shoot all three of them into a combined group of less than 2" at 200 yds. More than good enough for critters or deer.

Individually the BT's group the best averageing around 3/8 - 1/2" for 5 shots. The Barnes are next running right at 3/4" and the Partitions fall in the the rear at around 1". The point of impact on them as a collective group is what spreads them out. But it allows me to pick what I need for what ever I might want to hunt for. I can say this, the Barnes and PArtition are WAY better for deer than the BT, however the BT will definately put on down. It just makes a whole lot more of a mess doing it.

If you go this route be sure of which 4350 you are using as IMR is faster than Hogden and will definately let you know it in a most unpleasant way. I got much better results using the Hogdon, with less pressure issues than any other powder I tried.

Good luck on your endeaver.

[ QUOTE ]
"the BT will definately put one down. It just makes a whole lot more of a mess doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I really like the BT's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts