.243 or 6.5mm/.243

Methow Packer

I am rebarreling my Kimber .243 to a 26" fluted barrel. Probably a 8" twist Lilja. My interest is to shoot 105 gr pills with better BC for target and hunting. I'm wondering about changing calibers to possibly 6.5MM (.264) using the .243 case. I thought it would be easy enough. Reloading would be no problem. I'm sure it's done all the time but I know nothing about this wildcat. Can you guys tell me what this cartridge is like. Expected velocity with 130 VLD. Is it a good idea? This rifles short action dictates what cartridge size it can take. Is there a better option out there? .243 is a great caliber but would 6.5mm be better?

Thanks Ted

the 6.5/.243 is just the 260 Rem. For hunting, especially if that includes elk, the 6.5 is better. That would also be true if you are going to do a lot of very long range shooting.

I got a new cartridge in testing sort of based off an IMP version of the 243brk or 6.5slr, but its more efficient than either of those 2. Its can be made with Win, Horn, or Rem 243 bras, 260 rem brass or Win or Horn 7mm-08 brass, it can be loaded with 6br or 6.5 creedmoor dies. Initially we are getting one hole <.1" 3 shot groups with 142 smk's over H4350, jumping them .030" to fit the mag, and they are averaging 2987fps from a 27" 8.3 twist pipe.

6mm's are all the craze right now in tactical LR matches as they offer less drop and match or best most of the 264 calibers used in those matches in the wind. Plus bullets are cheaper BUT that may be off set on barrel cost as barrel changes will occur quicker with most of the 6mm's.

For a hunting gun, if I was given the choice between 243 and 260 for hunting deer and smaller game it would be a tough call but the 260 does have an energy advantage and I would feel more comfortable with it at longer distances.

Thanks all for your input. I've decided to stay with the .243 shooting the 100-115 bullets. Realize you can't have everything wrapped up in one cartridge. Considering I own also .270WSM and .300WM. Another question, going with say a 8" twist barrel for the larger bullets will I sacrifice performance with say 87 grain type bullets. I recognize there has to be a fine line as to what may be universal.

i would stay with 107 and under with an 8 twist. i bet you find they will do all you want and more.

Thanks all for your input. I've decided to stay with the .243 shooting the 100-115 bullets. Realize you can't have everything wrapped up in one cartridge. Considering I own also .270WSM and .300WM. Another question, going with say a 8" twist barrel for the larger bullets will I sacrifice performance with say 87 grain type bullets. I recognize there has to be a fine line as to what may be universal.

I shoot the 87gr Vmax out of my 6 rem AI (pretty much a 243, but AI'ed) with an 8 twist and it's super accurate. Shoots target bullets up to 105-108 great as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.