243 load 95gr Btip and H1000

Autorotate19

I was wanting to start a long range coyote load with a .243 Remington VLS that I just picked up for a really good price. I am wanting to shoot 95gr Nosler ballistic tips and H1000 powder. Anyone tried this combo or similar. Also how far off the lands do they usually like? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't tried H1000 in my .243 but I get superb (.2's) accuracy with 44.0gns of Vihtavuori N 560 and BR2 primers. My velocity from a 26" barrel averages 3088fps (5-shot groups). My OAL is 2.2600" and I run them .010" off the LaG's. This OAL is measured from the base to ogive. I took a groundhog in Va. at 580yds with this load last year. JohnnyK.

Thanks I appreciate the reply. I called Hodgdon today and asked them what they thought of it. The tech said for what Im wanting to shoot he thought it would actually be his top choice for a heavier bullet.:D

He said second best would probably be 4831 followed 4350. Im glad the H1000 will work because I have 4 pounds of it laying around that Im not using for anything else.

Yea but they work really well so if you not having much luck with the H1000 dont beat yourself over the head with it. Switch it up if its not working and try the others. Next you were asking about seating depths. Most of the time a small test at .01 .02 and .03 off the lands will give you at least one descent place to start. Sometimes they like more jump but usually one of theses will work "ok". I never put bullets into the lands anymore. It has been hard on a few of my barrels including a lot of extra throat wear i didnt need. Now when i look for a powder charge im usually right at or just off the lands. Then work my way back after i find a charge thats keeping them real close in speed.

In my 243Win I tried the 95 gr BT bullets with H1000, H4831SC, and H4350. All were good, 42.5 gr H4350 gave best accuracy and velocity, and .030" from the lands is about as close as I can get.

Just got a 243 and am also wanting to try the 95 gr BTips. It's in a savage
9-1/4 twist barrel. Anyone have a manual that shows H4831sc with this bullet and a good starting point - plus what do they show as a max. charge? If you have any personal experience/data with this bullet/powder that would also be appreciated.

I run a 42.0 grains of RL17 and a underneath a 95gr SST in a Winchester case and a CCI 200 primer. I get 3140 fps over the chronograph and 1/2 MOA at COAL 2.640 out of a factory barreled A-bolt.

Last edited:
I shoot the 95 berger VLD with 48 Gn H1000 ave 2950fps 0.015 off the lands. this load groups .400 @ 100. I think nosler recomends .015-0.030 but evey rifle is different.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.