Load for the .243 AI 95gr VLD

Greg Duerr

Im going to use a 95 gr VLD out of my .243 AI

What power and starting load would any of you sugjest?

Im fireforming and doing the bl breakin right now as I just got my Rifle about a month ago..

It has a 1x9 Twist and even though I might be able to shoot the 105's I just thought I would start with the 95

Ive looked at 4007 SSC and N 560..................but would greatly appreciate what works for you ....................

G

40-41grns H4350, Fed210 or CCI 200 primer, bullet .010-.015 in the lands. That's very accurate and will shape your cases nicely.

Yes, H4350 works great with the 95s, it will likely give youu the best combo of accuracy, velocity, and consistancy. With 105-108s H4831sc will likely be the best all around with Imr7828ssc coming in for a close second best.

I might consider using the Swift 90gr Scirocco as well as next year I will be using my .243 AI for Cow Elk......................I will work up a load using H4350

Thanks I drew a deer tag in area 043 here in Nevada and our state issues a lot of Cow Elk tags.

G

The 95grn berger is fine for elk, hold high shoulder/low spine, also the 105 hornady bthp will do good as well, they'll hold together a bit better than the amax. For best results to 400yrds the 100grn nosler partition is hard to beat.

So the 95gr berger would work for Elk? The theory behind the VLD seems like its the designed for deep penetration on heavy bodied game more geared towards thin skinned game like deer.
Im just going to have to rely on the advice I have received from you and others on this sight that have used the VLD's on Game..........

and work up a load with the 95gr and H4350. In the past even with my 22 Hornet . When I switched to the 30gr Berger's my accuracy improved by .200 I always felt more comfortable knowing that the accuracy was there, and getting .6 out of a Hornet looked good.

I will let you know how things work out .......................

G

Do a search on here or youtube for greybull precision, there is a girl that takes a cow elk at 688yrds with a 105 vld from a standard 243 with an 8 twist, cns shot, dropped where it was standing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.