.243 from .308

Shane Lindsey

Can you resize a .308 Win down to a .243 Win?

I am new to the .243 and was curious if it could be done with brass already had in .308..

Thanks

yes,you sure can.but you will most likely have to turn the necks down.the shoulder area will some what become part of the 243 neck and may be too thick.but if your chamber is a factory chamber the necks may not need it.only the chamber will tell you what it needs.

As johnboy said, yes it works fine but I don't reccomend doing it without turning the necks, when I first started doing it with lake city brass I necked a few down, you need to go in to steps as well, run then through a 260rem die first then the 243, then neck turn, on the first couple I tried I refused to fire them because I had a fired 243 case that measured .2765" and the couple I loaded without neck turning measured .275" if I had fired them I might not be telling you this right now!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.