243 bullets shooting quite different.

I've been working on 100 -108 grain loads for my 6mm Remingtons. While 100 grain Spitzers are very accurate, the 108 gr. ELDMs, were keyholeing. The 70 grain pills were great! Still looking for the perfect long range load in lead free. Not getting great groups with the 90 grain Nosler Etip.

Hey dd2, try jumping your e-tips100 thousants to as far as 120 thousants,my 1/10 twist keyholed 105 Bergers ,but shoots sptizers and 100 boatails fine ,lov the 243 wcf , thks .

In my .243 Long Range rifle (Sendero profile)(1-10 twist intended for less than 105's) 58 gr. Hornady V-max factory ammo shoots sub 3/8" groups at 4100 fps (26" bbl) it also shoots Fiocchi 100 grain ammo into sub 1/2" ammo (I had this left over and used it to sight in and took 2 shots and they were touching so I decided to shoot the group; I was shocked). It Hates 95 SSTs , 75 V-maxes are ok. I really wanted the gun for long range Prairie dogs and it is a laser with those 58s. We have prairie dogs the size of ground squirrels in AZ and my best calculated shot so far was 735 yds. These pdogs are barely 3" wide. Anyway, if a gun shoots any load super accurately it shows you that it is indeed harmonics because everything else is consistent. AND just because a factory load doesn't shoot well doesn't mean that you can't get that bullet to be accurate (Repeatable) at a different velocity or with a different powder burn rate.
I have 3 -243 rifles, the one I described with 26" bbl, another Winchester 70 with a 24" heavy bbl from the 70's and a HOWA 1500 sporter 22" bbl and they all like Remington 80 gr. corelokt SP and HPs, sub 5/8" groups. That was my Woodchuck killer in the wind. Would obliterate woodchucks, especially with a boney impact.

I have a 220 swift and everyone told me I would never get 40 grain bullets to shoot well. So far 40 gr. Nosler ballistic tips were the most accurate load I came across (so far) with H-380 powder anywhere from .005, .010 and .015 inches off the lands and settled on .010, slight variations in powder weight affected the groups. My best 5 shot group was .306" and several were 7/16" or less, but best velocity and accuracy was the .306 group at 4177 fps Avg. sighted in at 265 yds MPB zero for a 3" diameter target.
I say it is harmonics.

Does it still shoot smallish groups, simply with a poi shift? Could be barrel harmonics or simply change in recoil. I noticed a horizontal poi shift on a ladder at 300 yds due to increasing recoil in a light rifle. Groups of similar charge weights grouped together, just required a scope adjustment.

Different Cartridge but I've seen the same thing with my 30-30 when making a fast coyote loads with 100 gr Hornady short jackets, hit about 10 inches high and about 5 inches right from my 170 gr zero at 100 yards. It's about the most accurate load I have though as far as 30-30 accurate anyways....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.