.243 Bullets for Mule Deer

webofire

I am taking a .243 out to WY this fall for mule deer. After some research I found a wide variety of answers for the recommended size of bullet. I understand everyone has their reasons, just looking for the best bullet for distance and getting a clean kill.

thanks-web

I don't know if it's the best but Hornadys 100 gr BTSP worked for me in a Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem. 300 yds average groups of 2 1/4 inch groups with max load of H4831. One shot one deer go to Hornadys web site look up .243 6mm. 100 gr. BTSP has a Pic of my deer I shot last year. Would I use them again yes in my 6mm Rem.

Are you hand loading or buying factory ammo?

What is the length and twist of the barrel

What your anticipated max range? After hunting WY for years, I know a person can shoot as far as they are confident. I stretch my 243 or 280AI to the horizon every year.

For factory options: Hornady Superformance or Federal Fusion depending on your price point
Reloads: I like the authority of a 100 Sierra Gameking or a Hornady 95 SST/ If you have the right twist a 105 AMax is awesome.

My number one option= would be to work up a 90 grain Nosler Accubond load. Haven't tried the 6mm version, but every other caliber Accubond I have shot has been my magic bullet.

I have always used Sierra Gameking Boattail Spitzers in 100 gr out of my savage 243. Average group is .5" sighted in at 200 yrds. Have shot lots of mule and whitetails with them and have always had a one shoot kill. Hunt out in northwest kansas where there is alot of wind and this bullet does great out to 400 yrds.

What ever shoots most accurately from your rifle. The heavier the better but shot placement is the only thing that gives clean kills. An expanding bullet heavy enough to get threw to the heart will drop them. Everything else is academic. No bullet..... partition, x, bonded or whatever else they're selling will make any difference to really bad hit and anything that does not blow up on the external hide will drop them with a really good hit. My.....opinion............ loathed by the makers off all sorts of crappy "hunting" bullets and overpriced "hunting" outfitters the world over .

after a few long tracking jobs , I load 100 grain partitions with IMR7828 powder for my sons 243 .
the areas we hunted at that time were big timber and some thicker areas , so a long shot was 100 yards . he would always shoot them right on the shoulder and a few other brand bullets only made a flesh wound . I was hesitant to tell a him to shoot back a little for fear of him going back too far . I decided to give the partitions a try and it was the answer for him , I never had to track another deer . Jim

Not trying to be argumentative (this time). I tried a "high shoulder" a couple years ago and was disgusted with the waste of the front shoulders. I understand being conservative with the kids but boiler room shots work better for me. P.S. My daughter is still angry that for two years she has bean licensed but can't go hunting because she has not put in the necessary practice to achieve "sure thing" marksmanship. If your not sure you can hit it where you mean to: you probably should not be shooting it as dad hates tracking.

a few other brand bullets only made a flesh wound .

I've been shooting .243's for years and have over a hundred deer with them, I've shot most every brand of factory ammo and loaded most of the "specialty" stuff. I've used everything from 58 grains up to 105's. The round you speak of that only left a "flesh wound" in the shoulder, I would love to know what it was.

Have had excellent results from the 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip - it's the single most accurate bullet my son and I have tried from his 6mm Remington, and is a lot tougher than many would think. Typically get an exit with it, even shattered the bone of the off-side leg after passing through the chest on one deer at nearly 300 yards. It has become our favorite 6mm bullet.

That said - I don't recall ever using a "bad" bullet from the little 6mm Rem.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.