243 ai

ogallala_1

I just sold my 243 ackley improved so now I am on the hunt for a new one. Do you think it would be worth while to ackley improve a 22 inch barrel or should I chuck it and start with a 26 in tube? I plan on shooting 55 to 75 grain bullets. If you have any incite please give me your opinion.

Thanks John

Personally IMO, I would ditch the 22" and go with a longer tube. I don't know if you're gonna see any benefits of AI'ing a 22" tube.

Longer tubes look better anyway.:D:D

The 243AI with 10" twist, 26" muzzle-braked Krieger barrel, and 70gr Nosler BTs, is my favorite varmint rifle set-up.

I think the 6mm bore needs at least a 26" tube to efficiently use a 243AI case full of powder.

My 243AI has a 24 inch, 1 in 8 twist, number 4, Shilen barrel on it, I don't miss the other 2+ inches or the 100 fps velocity loss. It looks like any other custom rifle and shoots great with the short barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.