243 AI

shawn68

How are you guys working up to a max load?
I started with a max load for a 243 and have slowly worked up but think I might be getting close to my max. My bolt still lifts with one finger and my cases are showing no signs of pressure. I just want to be safe.
My current load is...

105g Berger Vld
37 grains of H Varget
Muzzle volocity is 2890-2900 out of a 26 inch barrel.

Help me out guys. I think I have more room but would like to be reasured by some of you guys with more exp.

ya varget is a pretty fast powder for a bullet that heavy. the 87g v-max was all the bigger i ever used varget with.

also u might try accurate mag-pro. it has worked pretty well for me in my 243

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion would be to switch to a slower burning powder like H4831sc and work up to around 46 grains. You should see around 3200fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd second that, not sure about the 3200 as I don't shoot the AI version, but I do better than 2900 with a 105 Amax in a standard 243 with a 26" tube.

Shawn,

Varget is a little fast burning for that weight bullet....It works well with the 70gr but not with the 105....try something in the Reloader 22, Ramshot Hunter, H4831 range....You should be able to hit 3200 with the 26" barrel. I just started experimenting with the Ramshot Hunter...looks promising so far. I will probably approach 3300 with the 105's if accuracy holds up.

My initial loading was with H4831. As I increased the powder charge, my groups started to open up. I was a long way from a max load but gave up fast when I got .336 with the Varget.

Will groups open up and then close as you work up loads?

theres a whole science to the speed node things..... none of it can i understand, but i do know that ive had groups open up when working up a load but get tight around max.... maybe just me.

[ QUOTE ]
Will groups open up and then close as you work up loads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they most certainly will. I've had a load that started open, then close, open back up, and finally close as I neared max charges.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.