243 AI ?

okduckin

i have almost all the parts for this one . my question is what realistic MV should i be looking for? not much on the AI version.1-8 @24 varget will be the starting point.want to try the 100-115 range

First off Varget is a bit fast for bullets in that range , it can be used but you'll end up with a case thats nowhere close to being full and that will generaly not give the best accuracy. I found VV-165 and VV-560 to be great choices for this round (the VV-560 is a high energy powder and burns hotter so that will reduce barrel life) Also 4350 and R-22 are fgood choices for this case with bullets in that weight class.

As far as speed , 3000fps is fully realistic , maybe 3200fps depending on the bullst barrel make and brass used , but I'd say anything higher than 3200fps out of a 24" pipe would be a hot load.

I have noticed that most match type bullets don't like being pushed hard anyway and I have also found that 2800-3100fps is a good nich for accuray with match bullets in just about all calibers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.