225 Nosler and 338 Lapua...anyone?

My wife shot a monster mulie with that combo last year at 516 yards. Several picturs of it over in the trophy photos or deer hunting. It would have been posted around the first week of November last year. Her load was 104 grains RE-25 at 3313 fps with a fed 215 primer. 26" barrel lightweight rifle.

this is what i use in my Savage BA110:

225gr nosler accubond
neck sized lapua brass
CCI LR magnum primers
87.0gr IMR 7828ssc
OAL 3.670"
2900fps muzzle and stays supersonic till about 1300 yards depending on atmospherics

its not smoking fast but it shoots nice tight groups and is my most consistent load out to 1000 yards

i smacked a doe fawn at 560 yards last fall... i was a little surprised at how well the bullet held together (maybe too well).... broadside shot right in the boiler room... went through and through, entrance about the size of my pinky through a rib and exit the size of my thumb... the animal rolled about 3 times on impact so it did dump a lot of energy into the animal and on postmortem the lungs and heart were completely jellified so i guess it still did the trick... i suspect on a mature animal with sturdier bones there might be more of a shrapnel affect.

orch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.