225 gr accubonds on elk

I have two reports on this bullet and elk. One cow elk at 255 yds from a 338 WM. Shot through the ribs, exited of course, elk DRT. One bull elk at 320 yds from a 338 RUM. Bullet entered behind near shoulder and shattered opposite shoulder a couple inches above the elbow. The bull's front legs collapsed then he stood back up and turned. Second round was administered through the neck down into the chest. Both bullets hit fairly major bone structure. Didn't find the one shot through the neck into chest and only found tiny bullet fragments from the one that shattered the shoulder. Result was a dead elk but I would have liked to have seen the bullet hold together a little better on the shoulder hit. Makes me wonder what would have happened if that was the near shoulder and not the far one. I love the accuracy but I certainly wouldn't hunt cape buffalo with one as one of the other guys suggested. Just my 2 cents.

I love the accuracy but I certainly wouldn't hunt cape buffalo with one as one of the other guys suggested. Just my 2 cents.

If I had to stop a charging cape buffalo, I'll take the biggest weapon I can shoot accurately. If I'm going to poke one through the ribs/lungs from 150 yds, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I'm sure the Barnes TXS and the Swift A-frame would be bit better on the buffalo. But this bullet and your cartridge on elk would be like using a '06 to kill a house cat.

I agree with you, I would want the biggest hole in the muzzle I can get for a charging dagga boy. The Barnes TSX and A frame are no doubt much more stoutly constructed than the Accubond. I have read many reports on the "Accubomb" and some failures to hold together, and I want a bullet that will perform on worst case scenario on shot angle or bone structure.

Certainly wasn't taking a personal shot at you, hope you weren't offended. I wish I were up there in AK for hunting season!

Have a good one,
Sam

I've killed three elk with the 225 gr Accubond and five others with various other Accubond bullets in 30 and 375 cal. No matter how close or how far they are or whether they hit shoulder bone or just into the chest they will expand and penetrate in a linear fashion and put down the animal. Partitions are too soft up front for a quick take down at high velocity(over 3000 fps) in my experiences. The front half blows up (they are not bonded) and the back half pencils through as a solid.

Ive shot alot of game with the AB.In my lesser calibers down to my 257. Had good luck.I took a bull square threw shoulder but close under 100,also went threw the extra fin of bone on shoulder blade,one and down with 325 wsm 200 gr.

I also have shot a lot of elk with the 225 and 250 Accubond. All fell where I shot them. The 225 has a high for weight BC and makes it a laser when you start it off above 3100 fps.

I'm waiting for Nosler to come out with a 250 and 300 grain ALR.

Accubonds are here to stay in my loads but I too wish for 338 Acubond long range bullets in heavy for caliber weights. In fact I wish for some of the current ABLR bullets to be available somewhere. I guess they must be loading a lot of ammo with them. I would like to try some 210 gr. ABLR in my 300 Ultra Mag.

I have some friends having good luck with the 300 AB ,and it is shooting tight at LR

I have some friends having good luck with the 300 AB ,and it is shooting tight at LR

I bet they are good bullets... They're also impossible to find so I've given up on them. I called Nosler several times over the past several months and last month they said they were making them soon.

I haven't given up on the 300s but I need to do some test on expansion at long range. I like the way they shoot and they hold energy crazy far down range.
I'm going to set up water jugs and wood at 900 yds. and see what they do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.