225 gr Accubond results?

jmbn

Has anyone shot an elk yet with the 225 Accubond? I'd be interested in the results. I just got an Oregon blacktail with the 140 Accubond in my .270; got it in the spine and the damage and exit was more spectacular than I would have expected. Much more damage than with a partition, and it makes me wonder if the .338 225 grain is up to elk on a close shot. A great BC is what attracts me.

Jerry

I used the 200g Accubond out of my 300 RUM for Easterm Oregon bull elk and shot my bull on the last day of the season,(yesterday morning) across a canyon at 512 yards. Muzzle velocity is mild at 3108fps. Accuracy is excellent giving me a 1.5" 3 shot group at 525 yards prior to the elk hunt. The first shot I hit him behind the shoulder as he was feeding broadside. He humped up, ran up the hill 5 yards and just stopped, I shot as he was away, (back shot) I missed. He then ran back down the 5 yards to where I first hit him and he stood broadside once more and that time I put the 3rd shot right in his shoulder and I swear I never seen an elk drop so fast and roll down the canyon. When I got it gutted I found out both bullets fully exited leaving nice 50 cent piece exit holes. When we got back to camp I skinned it and the damage was devastating. My uncle and fellow hunters said they have never seen anything like it in there 30 years of hunting. I will stick with this load untill my barrel burns out. After that I'm planning on getting a longer, maybe 30" Lilja fluted and get it in the Tomahawk. I figure you should be able to get the 200g out at 3400fps or so. Just thought I would share my experience with the Accubond bullet. Not the .338" 225g but it is probly real close. Hope this helps.

Congrats on the Elk and LONG RANGE SHOT. What type of scope were you using. If fixed model; what is zero on the scope for that range?. I use a Lapua Mag. with about 20 more ft. per sec. bullet in the 210gr. Nosler.

The scope is a new VX 2 Leupold, 6x-18x, Target, Fine Duplex. I got it for $430. I think its a nice scope for the shooting I do. Enough magnification for deer and elk out to 800 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.