.224TTH

any particular reason you like this one over the 22cheeta, or one of the various 284 based wildcats ( or for that matter, the wsm based ones?)
Ive shot 22s on the 308 case, and the 284 case, and both are more or less on par- recoil wise- with my 243. Still something that im not quite comfortable with... 22s and deer... but to each his own.

It can be a bit hard on cases if loaded to top loads because of case stretching with its relatively shallow shoulder. I much prefer the 22-6mmAI. When I was going to order a big 22 cal reamer for my shop inventory I went with the 22-6mm AI version instead because of better case stretch control with high pressure loads.

One bit of advice, dealing with 22 cal rounds for use on deer size game, the bullet you use is really MUCH more important then the case you shoot it out of. I have seen little difference on this size game using rounds such as the 22-250 up to the 22-284. With proper bullet placement with a quality bullet designed for this use, they all work very well.

With a poor placed shot or when using a varmint type bullet, things can go very bad very quickly, even in the biggest of 22 cal rounds.

If it were me, I would look at the 100 gr or 107 gr Wildcat ULD RBBTs or FB bullets for deer hunting.

A 100 gr 22 cal bullet will do anything a 100 gr 6mm bullet will do and penetrate even deeper and shoot flatter with a higher BC.

You will need a 1-7 twist barrel. I just tested my 224 AM this morning with the 107 gr ULD RBBT in VERY mild fireforming loads and she cut a seven shot group that measured 0.389" ctc and the muzzle velocity was only in the 2750 fps range so stability is more then enough at this velocity.

Even a 22-250 should be able to get close to 2850 fps with this bullet which would be plenty for deer hunting with very low recoil. This bullet should have a BC in the +.6 range so compare that to larger caliber rounds ballistically and even at this relatively low velocity you have great performance.

In the larger 22 cal rounds you will see much more impressive results. I have tested this bullet in the 22-6mm AI and got 3200 fps in a 28" barrel.

Top end loads in my 224 AM will break 3400 fps in a 26" pipe.

These heavy 22 cal bullets offer a totally new relm of performance for the medium game hunter. Again, with a well placed shot, performacne on deer size game will be very good.

Kirby Allen(50)

I initially went with a 22-243AI and had excellent results with heavy bullets (75gr-80gr). I'm about to get started with a 22-243 (plain) which would not require fireforming. Another advantage of using the 22-243 is readily available Lapua brass and factory dies from RCBS, Redding and probably a few others. An 8 twist in this cartridge will probably be able to stabilize the new 90gr SMK which would make an interesting longrange target or deer hunting bullet.

Cases larger than the .243 Win seem like too much of a good thing when shooting through a bore as small as .224, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure there is someone out there that just loves shooting his .224 WSM with a 6.5 twist. Odds are he will be rebarreling loooong before me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i've considered building a 22WSM but just to shoot the gs custom bullets.throat life is 2-3 times longer with his HV style of bullets.has anyone ever tried them at over 4K?

I 'll second what fifty said about richards 100 rbbt. Sportsman have a tendency to undermine 22 cals on deer. Put many of them are shooting deer with bullets under 60 grains dezigned for varmints. I have shot 7 deer with 22 cals with 80 grain match bullets. I have made much better shots with the 22 cals than the big hammers I usually use. I think alot of making a good shot is knowing your gun and not being scared of it. Many of the deer I shot had exit wounds that you would swear was shot by a magnum. I have shot around 500 of richards 100 RBBT out of my 22 dasher at 3000 fps. They shoot in the wind and are very accurate. I will not hesitate to shoot a deer at 500 yards with my wimpy little 22 dasher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I just built 2 22-243 ackleys and am very impressed with there performance even in shorter 26 inch tubes. I would go with the 22-243 ackley over the 22-6mm for the simple reason laupa brass. The 22-6mm ackley should be better but my only concern is no laupa brass. Either way a 22-243 ackley or 22-6mm ackley with a 8 twist or faster ,75-107 grain bullets will kill deer with authority out 700 yards. Fifty is being conserative with the b.c on the 100 grain wildcat , believe me with this bullet it gives many of the bigger cals a run for the money. I would not hesitate to build a 7 twist 22-243 ackley or 22-6mm ackley 30 inch tube muzzle brake for a deer rifle. I put muzzle breaks on all my 22 cals it much more fun shooting without recoil and watching impacts.

Would like to thank all of you for your opinions/postings! Experience is something we all gain in life, I just wish I would have listend to my elders growing up (thought I new it all) like I'm doing now. Notes taken & God Bless..

There is a pretty good article in last month's NRA rifleman mag. The .224 TTH was put together by the fellow the started Texas Trophy Hunters association. I believe it said they used 257 roberts case necked down to .224. The barrel was 26 inch with a ! in 8 twist. Not a new idea but one the author wanted to build to handle heavier bullets 75 to 80 gr. Showed good test results, check it out in NRA rifleman

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.