224 Valkyrie Issues

Joemvela

ok guys, was going to see of you guys can help me out.....recently finished a 224 valkyrie build....took it to the range...everything worked great and sighted in the rifle, used it in a comp that weekend and had zero issues, few weeks later, getting ready for another comp and took it to the range ...at this point probably sent 300 rounds through it....while at the range I started to get feed issues, some rounds wouldn't get picked up and about every 3rd round would get short stroked, swapped out mags but issue still continued....returned the range the next day and issues started right away with every round getting short stroke....running a ballistic advantage 18" .224 Valkyrie Premium Series barrel, aero precision bolt carrier group, jp silent capture gen 2, with a .750 low profile gas block and rifle gas tube. Shooting 224 hornady match 88 gr.

Was thinking buffer is to heavy and not allowing it to go all the way back and grab the next round....then read an article stating that the buffer is not heavy enough causing it to cycle tofast....any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful

Here is the link to the article that I read.

I did order a heavier buffer and adjustable gas block to help with the trouble shooting.

Also ordered another mag from a different company to see if that might be the issue

Any chance your gas blocked moved on you? Strange that it would work fine then develop issues unless something physically changed. Particularly if the barrel isn't dimpled for the set screws on the block, they've been known to move a bit which can result in not enough gas to cycle the weapon. Worth a look before you start throwing a bunch of money at parts.

Any chance your gas blocked moved on you? Strange that it would work fine then develop issues unless something physically changed. Particularly if the barrel isn't dimpled for the set screws on the block, they've been known to move a bit which can result in not enough gas to cycle the weapon. Worth a look before you start throwing a bunch of money at parts.

It did gave a dimple doe the set screw....when i get off work tomorrow...im going to take it off again and double check....check for alignment and any build up....however don't think that there should be to much build up

Take your bolt out. Sling it forward to expose the bolt from carrier. Then stand it on end and see if it the bolt collapses into carrier. With that few rounds I doubt that's the issue. Probably the gas block.

Take your bolt out. Sling it forward to expose the bolt from carrier. Then stand it on end and see if it the bolt collapses into carrier. With that few rounds I doubt that's the issue. Probably the gas block.

Ill give it a shot....just trying to cover all angles

LEO trained M16 armorer.
If it worked at first, that narrows things down to something changed, broke, or moved. Pretty much removes buffer and spring as the culprit. This is all assuming the ammo did not change.
#1! Check the bolts on top of the bolt carrier group holding the gas key in place. If they are not staked sufficiently they will work loose and leak gas in the upper. Some manufacturers have been using thread lock compounds, they don't hold up.
Check the gas block alignment and the gas tube.
Check the bolt as above.
Clean and lube the bcg.
First rule of troubleshooting, make incremental changes. One change at a time.

ok guys, was going to see of you guys can help me out.....recently finished a 224 valkyrie build....took it to the range...everything worked great and sighted in the rifle, used it in a comp that weekend and had zero issues, few weeks later, getting ready for another comp and took it to the range ...at this point probably sent 300 rounds through it....while at the range I started to get feed issues, some rounds wouldn't get picked up and about every 3rd round would get short stroked, swapped out mags but issue still continued....returned the range the next day and issues started right away with every round getting short stroke....running a ballistic advantage 18" .224 Valkyrie Premium Series barrel, aero precision bolt carrier group, jp silent capture gen 2, with a .750 low profile gas block and rifle gas tube. Shooting 224 hornady match 88 gr.

Was thinking buffer is to heavy and not allowing it to go all the way back and grab the next round....then read an article stating that the buffer is not heavy enough causing it to cycle tofast....any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful
Have you cleaned and oiled the rails on your bolt carrier so that it functions smoothly?

And I would clean the chamber to make sure there isn't any debris in it that maybe interfering with chambering rounds.

As another(former) LE armorer, Revolting Peasant said everything I wanted to say. His #1 idea has happened to me more than once.
Too much grease in really cold weather was one problem. Not enough gas getting through the system was another, but that was a problem from the start.
First thing I'd do/did is a detailed strip and clean. My money is on something associated with the BCG.
Did you hone the chamber during the build?

I'm going through this on my 224V. Although my smith says it is purely imaginary and will never happen, I found that my gas tube was clogged. Cleaned it out, reassembled, and hope to shoot this weekend to be sure that was the cause. Also, one advisor had suggested that metal lowers seem to function better with some uppers than polymer lowers - I tried swapping and it did help, but then it quit cycling so I had to dig deeper.