223 Wolf brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bowhunthard, Mar 3, 2009.

1. bowhunthard

bowhunthard Well-Known Member

I have some 223 Wolf brass that my buddy shot out of his AR15, is this coated brass OK to reload?

Thanks.

2. tbrown9124

tbrown9124 Well-Known Member

run dont walk away from this crap, dont even shoot it if it were given to you it shoots ok but that lovely tac green coating is a mother to clean out of the chamber and will get so caked on that a round will not chamber, the wolf gold on the other hand is a diff story it shoots good and has none of the problems the green cartridges do. basically you have some scrap on your hands

3. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

You probably have steel casings, they put a coating on them. I never heard of a coating on brass.

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

If its a steel case it will be a dark black color and its not reloadable.

If it is brass, look inside of the case and see if the case is boxer primed(one center flashhole) or berden primed(two smaller, offset flasholes)

If it is boxer primed and brass case it could be reloaded, if not, throw it.

5. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Had 1000 rounds of Wolf 223 that was steel case and boxer primed, gray colored cases. I reloaded them just to se if it would work and it did but accuracy was poor and it was hard on dies and bullets. They are still around here in a coffee can somewhere but I dont have any plans on reloading any more of them.

6. bowhunthard

bowhunthard Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys. Didn't expect to get this many answers this fast. They'll go in my brass bucket for the salvage yard lol.

Thanks.