223 rem / 70 gr berger vld / 1:9 twist

hello all
i would Need a load for 223 rem . wanted to go with 70 grain berger vld bullets .
my Twist rate is 1:9 . can you help me please with some suggestions
thanks very much
G'day Elk868

I have a Remington VTR 1:9 twist in .223 this rifle has a very long throat and I can get more powder in I use Lapua brass Cci br4 primers and AR2208 , your Varget with 75 grn Hornady ELD-M
25.4 grn of AR2208 this is over the max loads in any data I have found
I've had to extend the box mag to suit the seated length of 1.944 coal comparator 2.22 groups 10.92mm 0.430 inch at 150yards 5 shot group

My other load using Lapua brass and Lapua 77 grn OTM Scenar
Projectiles coal 1.927 same primers cciBR-4 23.5 grn AR2206H groups 11.70mm 0.460inch at 150 yards 8 shot group

Both loads I find very accurate long range out to 800 yards
Weather permitting

Please keep in mind these are MY loads for my rifle
I have no signs of pressure at all
Start low and work up

Chances are fair that to get any decent accuracy out of the heavier bullets you might have to push them a bit harder than you would with a 1:7 twist barrel. My 1:9 will handle the 65 to 70 grain bullets but only if they're up at the top of the velocity charts. It did very well with Sierra 65 gr. Gameking. So when starting out with load development, don't dismiss a bullet as "inaccurate" until you get up there, pressure wise.
Cheers,
crkckr

Chances are fair that to get any decent accuracy out of the heavier bullets you might have to push them a bit harder than you would with a 1:7 twist barrel. My 1:9 will handle the 65 to 70 grain bullets but only if they're up at the top of the velocity charts. It did very well with Sierra 65 gr. Gameking. So when starting out with load development, don't dismiss a bullet as "inaccurate" until you get up there, pressure wise.
Cheers,
crkckr
I couldn't get any form of accuracy until I got over 2950 fps
Then it came together very quickly

Don't they have make a bullet loner in order to make it heavier? I'm not an expert, just asking.
I have a 1:9 on my .223 and haven't had much luck with anything bigger than 62 grain. Will soon have a 1:8 or 1:7.
Not necessarily, if you look at my example the 68 gr is longer than the 69 or 70 gr. But the longer the bullet the tighter twist you need.

IMR 8208 is my powder of choice for heavy bullets in 223 I use 75-77gr bullets it much better than Varget in my guns.

first testloads shown good results with 23 gr. N140 . hope i can post some Pictures and more specific informations soon
G'day Elk868
Have you got any Varget my ADI AR2208 , for my 75 grn ELD-M loading
or H4895 my ADI ADI 2206H for my 77grn scenar loading
I couldn't get the speed required to stabilise projectiles with N140 outta my .223 not saying you can't get it with yours
Just a thought to consider
How's the rest of your testing going with the .223 ??
Cheers Paul

Benchmark, BL-C(2), IMR 4895. All of those loved that bullet. I was getting up. to 2950fps with them in a 26" barrel with berger 70's.

Benchmark, BL-C(2), IMR 4895. All of those loved that bullet. I was getting up. to 2950fps with them in a 26" barrel with berger 70's.
G'day Ballisticsguy
Can you guys still get BLC-2 over there that's our ADI 2206
We can now only get ADI 2206H a upgrade we are told ,just about the same but 2206H is a little quicker off the mark I believe
Cheers Paul

Yeah, well I mean last time I made a powder order I bought 3lbs of BL-C(2). I just checked and Powdervalleyinc.com still shows it available however a visit to hodgdons site and I don't see it listed there. They might have nuked that one. It's one of the oldest powders, probably sacrificed to whatever gods are making them discontinue all the old tried and true favorites.

Right around 23-23.5gr of AR Comp gets me about 2850 from a 20" 9 twist, but it's loaded beyond mag length in a R700.

Hello guys, new to forum, came across this site while searching the load data for the berger 70 gr bullet. I don't have any reloading experience yet. trying to get all my supplies bought during this hectic time. Anyway, afriend of mine offered to load me a few just to try in my Savage model 10 predator with 1-9 twist. We loaded them with 21.7 gr of Benchmark and at100 yd Ihad a .2 inch 3 shot group.The 1-9 twist will shoot these good in my gun! Thanks for having me onboard,great site with great info,
61904548814__49A80D56-3EE8-42B6-8F70-71407A784BD3.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.