223 loads

KRob

I have a savage 11f 223 1 in 9 twist anyone have any loads that work well for plinking gophers maybe 150 yards max.
Thanks

Hi robins! I don't personally have any loads for you but I can give you a few out of one of my manuals to get you started if you want. What bullet you going to be shooting?
How is your interest in reloading coming along or have you already got a setup and wanting to try it out?

I actually just bught my press kit today. RCBS i know your a Lynman guy (i probably mispelled that along with about every other word but oh well). I am going to pick up my dies tommorow but i figured i would try to have figured out what pounders and bulletts i wanted before i went to town. Living out in the boonies has it disadvantages.
I have been shooting a Factory winchester load that was a 45 or 42 hp that shot wounderfully but the manual i have that came in the kit only has speer loads. oops should have looked a little more closely.

I'm not brand specific I use em all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have the nosler manual, barnes manual, hornady manuals,and the newest speer.
I myself would use nosler Balistic tips for plinking and shooting gophers and prarrie poodles because they are cheap and fairly accurate in most all rigs! Here goes a few loads for them.
40 grain BT
H-322 powder from 23 to 25 grains max
H-335 powder from 25.5 to 27.5 grains max
Hodgdon Varget from 25.0 to 27 grains max
W748 powder from 26 to 28 grains max ( most accurate powder tested with this bullet according to nosler )

50 grain BT
IMR 4064 powder from 25 to 27 grains max
Hodgdon benchmark 24.5 to 26.5 grains max ( most accurate for this bullet according to nosler )
H-335 powder from 24 to 26 grains max
IMR 4198 powder from 20 to 22 grains max
W748 powder from 24.5 to 26.5 grains max

55 grain BT
IMR 4198 from 19.5 to 21.5 grains max
H-335 from 23 to 25 grains max ( most accurate with this bullet )
Benchmark 23 to 25 grains max
Varget 23 to 25 grains max
IMR 4895 from 23.5 to 25.5 grains max
W748 from 24 to 26 grains max
IMR 4064 from 24.5 to 26.5 grains max

All these loads are listed in the Nosler #5 manual as being safe loads when worked up from the starting points.
They used winchester brass and remington 7 1/2 primers seated to S.A.A.M.I specs of 2.260 max overall length.
I listed the most available powders that are easier to find.

Hope it helps a little!

P.S sorry it took me sooo long to reply but I can't type and read at the same time. ( I can barely type LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

The books seem to specify that the brass maker is inportant. I have alittle of everything but have especially alot of remington, would using one of these loads with remington brass be a mistake.

Not really. I use a lot of remington brass and find it's fairly good brass. It lists winchester brass and primers for a 22.250 and I dont use either one. My loads shoot half inch or less pretty much all the time with almost any bullet. I do however take a few accuracy enhanceing steps like deburring primer flash holes and uniform the primer pockets but those steps are not guaranteed to improve accuracy but they make me feel like I'm doing all I can with what I have. I have never used any high quality brass like Norma or Lapua so I can't really compare but I don't think you will notice a difference in winchester brass's accuracy and remingtons accuracy. I may be wrong. I have used some of each and noticed no big difference.

the 40 grain bt what kind of bullet is that? The real question is BT. Is that like a hollow point or what?
That good about the brass because even though i try not to i loose 2 to 6 cases each trip out just from trying to take a quick secound shot and ejecting the brass into some bush or something where i cant find it.

Bt is ballistic tip. It's a polymer tipped bullet of a hollow point design. The polymer tip aids in sleekness if you will without compromising rapid expansion. They are accurate in every gun I have put them in and for small game they work great! There are other bullets that work good also!
I was listing one I thought would be easy to load for your first time so you wouldn't have to spend alot of time tweaking your load to get the most accuracy out of it.
They are about the cheapest and easiest to find bullets when your looking reloading supplies ( at least around here anyway ).
If your not planning on trying to win any competitions then I wouldn't worry too much about brass manufacturer just remember to keep it seperated by firings and watch for any bad cases.

Thanks, for everthying you have really helped alot. I am going to chech out now talk to you later.
Anyone else though please chime in.

The best load I've shot out of AR's and my mini is Nosler 55gr bt pushed by 25gr of Hodgdon Varget with Winchester and CCI primers.

Couple notes I would like to add that I dont think have been covered yet.
1. Seperate brass and shoot one headstamp at a time
2. Remington is good brass but I believe it is a little thinner than most other brands. Thinner= more case capacity which changes pressures and will change the sweet spot for a particular bullet.
3. I dont like 40 grain bullets in 223. They have to be seated to far back to get a good hold in the neck. deep seating = long jump which will wear the barrel faster and reduce accuracy. 40's are quicker (reduced barrel life) and expand faster (tears up game)so I tend to overlook them.
4. Enjoy the boonies - I have to drive 45 minutes to shoot on a 100 yard max range. Mail order would work well for you on all but powder ($20 hazmat fee + shipping). www.midwayusa.com is my favorite. They have great prices, fair and honest shipping and they list whether it is in stock or on backorder. They carry the 46 grain hollow points you mentioned.
5. You cannot read to much or be to careful.I believe you stated you were new to reloading. Make sure you do everything in a safe manor. Work up loads slow, keep an eye on Cartride length, check brass well before loading and look for signs of excess pressure.
6. flat base bullets are harder to seat than boat tail designs unless you put a good inside chamfer on it.
7. Ask lots of questions and we will answer what we can
8. BE SAFE!

Hope this helps ya out-
John

robins , I ste up that exact gun for a friends little boy its his first centerfire rifle. We tried just about everything to try to get the best accuracy and splat and found that the 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips bridged the gap.
the best accuracy load actualy comes with a 69gr Sierra Match King bullet over 26grs of H-4895. The accuracy is awsome for a factory gun , it'll consistanly shoot .4" range and with that bullet is accurate to 600yds !!. Its not the best bullet for shoot little critter and making them pop but it sure is fun..

His brass is Winchester , fire formed and only neck sized
26 grs of H-4895 and a Federal 205M primer
69 gr Sierra MatchKing bullet seated out to the lands.

His dad uses this gun and that load to shoot problem deer and hogs that raid his garden , 200yd head shots and its lites out.
We got him 6 boxes of Winchester 50 count white box varmint ammo to start with , and it shoots pretty good around 3/4" and thats the brass we use for his reloads we just neck size and work out the primer pockets and it good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.