223 Deer Bullet/Factory Load

Any thing with a 52-55 grain Barnes. I load the 52 grainier for a buddies daughter and results on deer resemble damage done by a much larger caliber. Internal damage and an exit wound for tracking. Not too bad for tiny Bullet. I've always liked the sound of the Nosler bonded bullet, but I've never had personal experience with it.ive Always like the sound of the Nosler bonded bullet, but I've never had personal experience with it.

I've killed many deer in the Northwest before the cal. restrictions. All were one shot kills. Farthest one went was maybe 30 yards down hill. Back in those days we used 55 soft points of unknown Mfr. Up close ,they would frag, so we shot head or neck. Farther off, they would mushroom well, usually found under the hide on the off side. To let you know how long ago this was, I used a Remington 760 pump in 223 Rem that I bought new. Still have it. :) I've always thought that we would have been better served with a demonstrated accuracy from the hunter for hunting than a caliber restriction. My buddies also used 22-250's but bullet blow up was bad. The 22-250 with a 65 Gameking would do great. Just my experience.

If (which in this case is a very big word) I generally wouldn't try for a deer sized critter with less than a .243 and a 95 gr. Partition) I were going to use a .223 for deer, I would choose the 60 gr. Partition first and if it wouldn't shoot, then perhaps the 65gr. Sierra GameKing, which is very accurate out of my 16" upper. Maybe the 55 GK would work as well but it seems a bit lite to me. The Speer 70 gr. SP is listed as a Varmint bullet, I think I would be a tad leery of using it on a deer. Probably works fine on a perfect shot but there's always that shot that isn't, for some reason, perfect. Clearly they can work, but I'm not certain I'd want to rely on one.
Cheers,
crkckr

My two sons killed at least 20 ish deer with a 223 over the course of a few years . The post about what if a big buck steps out , well to that I say hit him right behind the shoulder and get ready to get some blood on your hands . We shot the 60 gr partitions and only had one big doe run after the shot . She only went maybe 20 yards . All the rest were bang flops. I'd say any heavier for caliber bullet would suffice just keep your range limited and stay off big boned areas like dead center shoulder and you'll be fine

I just started shooting Speer. Great results!!

I've also used the 70-grain Speer on deer, with excellent results. I only shot a couple deer with it, though, because I got better accuracy with the 64-grain Winchester power point bullet. It worked equally well on deer, and became my standard deer bullet for the 22-250. Both are very good deer bullets, in my opinion.

the problem I have is this.. I would never use a .224" diameter slug on a white tail or any deer. the smallest caliber/diameter I would use is a .257". as in 25 WSSM or 257 Rob.
now for the most devastating .224" out of a 223 rem or a 5.56 it has to be the 70 grain Barnes TSX. that is with a 150 yard max range as you said.
How much difference, for the sake of argument on the max end, is there between a .257 Rob 115 gr and say a 22-6mm with a 90gr or even a .22-250 with the heavy bullets? A very fine line and if you draw the line at .25 cal you're omitting a whole host of 24 bores that are phenominal deer killers. I agree with you that .224 caliber is not something I preach to the masses, but it is an "adequate" round. Especially with new products in tougher bullets. A lot of input goes into fish and game rules and a number of states allow .224 for deer. In a lot of places in Texas most hunting is done from a blind over feeders at a hundred yards or less. A good set up for a .223.

I know this thread is about the .223, and I've seen the bullets mentioned in .223 as well... but I gotta give the nod to the 78g Barns TSX.
This pass weekend the Mrs. and I both harvested mule deer does with my .224 Valkyrie shooting federal factory ammo loaded with the 78g TSX... and proof was in the pudding...
28EF16B9-0EBB-4B58-8BFA-23464584A4B9.jpeg
Her doe, shot at 180 yards, struck rib on entry, liquified the lungs and left that on exit. 10 yard recovery. I assume striking bone on entry caused maximum mushrooming immediately and the results were devastating .
419704D9-BF84-404E-86E8-F03FE5ED3270.jpeg
my doe exit at 200 yards. struck in front of the shoulder in the neck, exited in front of the shoulder on the other side. Stoned her. Zero steps.

now for those that say it was a Valkyrie and not a .223... I get it, but at those distances there's not much advantage to a Valkyrie over a .223. 78g TSX is a great way to go for a .224 caliber deer bullet. Definitely a viable deer killer.

The 78-grain TSX is not a bullet for the masses. Takes a 1 in 7" twist to stabilize in a .223.

I think that bullets like this will come into more common use as we see more and more rifles become available with fast-twist barrels. These new cartridges are gaining popularity, and they are all chambered in barrels with pretty steep rifling twist rates.

Back in the day, my old 22-250 ( with the 1-in-14" twist ) maxed out with the 70-grain Speer semi-spitzer. Nothing longer than that would stabilize. That was OK, because this bullet worked fine for smallish deer - as did a few other bullets of around 60-65 grains. These newer cartridges & bullets, though, ought to be somewhat better. The Valkyrie has pretty much filled any perceived gap between the older .224's and the 6mm's. Being able to handle the long & heavy bullets is the reason why, but bullet construction remains the key to shooting deer with smaller cartridges.

I want to know if a 22-250 shooting heavies through a fast twist barrel at full power will wear out slower than a light bullet moving fast.

Some years ago I used 60 gr Barnes Originals in my 22-250 on white tail, antelope and coyotes. Very effective even out to 400 yds, all DRT. Then I went to 60 gr Nosler Partitions in my 22 Cheetah. Great results all. I haven't used anything heavier because I tend to shoot some of my others and have neglected my 22's.

I have Culled many deer & Hogs with Black Hills 62gr Barnes tsx and 55gr tsx bullets.(50 pack)
Hornady training ammo in the 50 pack with the 55sp is also a great deer killer.
Most shots 200 yds or less and most in high shoulder or where Neck joins shoulder. Heads tend to Move a lot.
Most of these in a Heavy barrel AR.

My .223 AI with 75gr Amax work really well also.

Double lung /Heart shots also work great.

I have Culled many deer & Hogs with Black Hills 62gr Barnes tsx and 55gr tsx bullets.(50 pack)
Hornady training ammo in the 50 pack with the 55sp is also a great deer killer.
Most shots 200 yds or less and most in high shoulder or where Neck joins shoulder. Heads tend to Move a lot.
Most of these in a Heavy barrel AR.

My .223 AI with 75gr Amax work really well also.

Double lung /Heart shots also work great.

I'm with you on the idea of head-shooting deer. The head is the part of the body that is most likely to move suddenly, and without warning. If a deer picks up its foot, it is probably about to take a step. They can turn their head very suddenly, though, and your perfect brain shot becomes a sloppy wound in the face somewhere. I vastly prefer to shoot them in the chest, whether the cartridge is large, medium, or small. It's just so much more reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.