.223 ackley

SouthShot

G'day, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i've been intending to rechamber my .223 rem into the ackley improved version and have heard that the .223 rem cartridges are still very accurate out of the ackley chamber.
could anybody tell me from personal experience how accurate .223 rem's are in an ackley chamber compared to a standard chamber, Group sizes would be great.
Thanks, Henry.

Last edited:
I'm having a 223ai put together now but I'm looking at shooting the new 53Vmax.

Anyone shooting the new 53gr Vmax out of their 223ai?????

Mine is getting a 1-9tw so I doubt I could shoot the 75's even if I wanted to.

along with b23 could you post velocity's with that, the second thing I've been wondering is what pressure signs are there that you can read from the Ackley case?

G'day, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i've been intending to rechamber my .223 rem into the ackley improved version and have heard that the .223 rem cartridges are still very accurate out of the ackley chamber.
could anybody tell me from personal experience how accurate .223 rem's are in an ackley chamber compared to a standard chamber, Group sizes would be great.
Thanks, Henry.

What's the advantage over a 22-250? What barrel length and twist rate do you plan to use? That will determine how heavy a bullet you can shoot.

i don't want to go 22-250 because i dont know where to get a bigger bolt head in oz and dont want to machine out the bolt face, i plan to shoot a 24" barrel, 1-12 twist and shoot 53gr vmax

the other advantage is that i can use the stockpile of .223 brass i've built up as well as better case life and less powder

I just shot a 3 round group in the one's tonight while load testing with my 223 ackley. The load was with Varget/fed 205m primers/ and sierra 65 gr gamekings. My rifle has a 9 twist Krieger #3 contour barrel. gun)

I have a new 223 ackley that is built with the Rem 700 factory varmint barrel that came with the gun when I bought it new, had it re-chambered after testing the new factory barrel with about 40 round just to make sure it shot reasonable to start with.

anyway I worked a fire form load with 50 grain blitzkings, 25.5 grains of benchmark, fed small rifle match primers in new lake city brass that shoots very nice little tiny clover leaf groups.

I am in the process of just beginning to work up loads for the formed brass.

Mine is also built off a Remington 700 action as well with a light sporter barrel. The only bad thing I can say about it is, mine is a repeater, and it doesn't feed all that well. If I was out predator hunting I would be worried if I needed a fast follow up shot. I tried some Benchmark but got some weird blow back, must be sensitive on the high or low side. Never experienced that ever, so I stopped and later unloaded all the rounds. H335 has been a better powder for me with the 50-60gr weight bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts