223 accuracy

ShortMag3

I have loaded 50 grain Ballistic Tips, to 68grain Hornady Match BTHP for a friend who shoots a SIG with a 16" barrel. The best it groups at 100yds is just inside 2 inches. Should we be able to do better with loads or is this an operator issue?

Help appreciated!

ShortMag3

the barrels short but even so you should be looking at sub to 1" max.

Have you experimented with load charges too??? i.e reduce the powder. More doesn't always = more accurate.

Id also look at the stock to action fit- make sure the barrels free floating and its not resting on anything.

Try using a bean bag rest or bi-pod.

If its still inaccurate change the ammo to a few factory loads and see if it improves.

If not sounds like the barrel crown might need looking at via a gun smith.

Simple and cheap job just frustrating as its not a d.i.y project with a hacksaw and hammer

Good luck and don't give up

Thanks for the input. I will work up some different powder charges and an additional powder as well. I am not sure of his rest set up, I assume he is using a solid set up but I will find out.

Thanks again...

Shortmag3

the rest should support the stock only and ideally mimic where the forehand holds the rifle.

Never place the barrel on the rest as the resonance and kick will spray shots all over the place.

The other thing you could check is that the stock is secured properly, if its too loose this won't help. Don't over-tighten, just pinch it tight.

Id try 2 brands of factory ammo, just buy 2 different brands and they should both group about 1" at max at 100 yards. If this fails after doing the above suggestions then id take it to a good gunsmith and relay the problem to him- it could be a burnt out barrel or damaged crown

Good luck and let me know how it goes mate :)

Shortmag--Whats your twist?. If 1 in 9 you need to get to a heavier bullet. What powder you using and what is your COL,Primer,and better yet,,what bullet brand you using?. I agree with other posts here. At 100 yards you should almost be making one hole in paper for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts