.222 Remington - Converted to ??

Greg Duerr

I own a Rem 700 in the .222 that I have had for about 14 years...........................It has had thousands of rounds through it and I would like to have it rebarreled and installed with a McMillan stock and Jewell Trigger..............

If it was up to any of you out there what would you have it rebarreled to with that head diameter? I would be using it for Marmonts. Coyotes, Jackrabbits and Ground Squirrels...................

Also my last two rifles were rebarreled with Pac Nor SM.............any personal choices out there?

I have looked at the .223 AI and the .204 Even the .17 Remington, because I have heard so much about it.................but know no one that has had any real experiance with it.................

Greg

My personal opinion would be to go back with 222. It's a great cal, and has won many benchrest competitions. I killed whitetail and a few mule deer with mine when I was a kid (neck and ear shots). Easy on hides also. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply...................................its funny that you said to stay with the .222 my son said the same thing. Both my boys grew up shooting the .222 and they both have a lot of memories with it.................

Thanks.

Your right.........................and I even have the Redding Match Dies. Which are about $200.................

Great point.......................

Bob

You have experiance with the 222 R M ? I have always had a facination with that cartridge............ I just never liked the .223 could be that super short neck or the simple fact that everyone else uses one, kind of like being different. That's why I shoot a .19 Badger.

Greg

I really like the .222RM, there are probably a dozen other rounds that will do the same thing or very nearly so, but they just aren't the same to me. It does everything I need from a .22 centerfire, you don't see one every time you turn around either. I was originally attracted to the .222RM because I collect things from 1958 and that is the year it was born. I'm kind of eccentric when it comes to rifle calibers anyway. FWIW I have looked at the .19 Badger too and ended up going with a .19 Calhoon.

Bob

Bob

I feel the same way, there has always been something apealing about the .222 RM I dont like bing just like everyone else. I use to collect old boxes of Cartridges. Usually found the ones no one ever bought hidden on the back shelf of some old hardware store........the .222 RM was one of them along with such like the .351 Self Loading, .220 swift, .219 Zipper, .32 Rem, 32-40 and the great 7x61 sharp and hart.

I shot a 22 Hornet for some years ..............out in Nevada we shoot ground squirrels on alfalfa fields. It was my favorite especially with the 30gr. Calhoon. So when I lost permission to shoot on this one ranch because they sold out, James Calhoon talked me into it.

He did a great job on my CZ.........and its a real shooter. I put a 6x-18x on it ............

Right now Im looking for a power for my .243 AI shooting the 95gr VLD.............

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.