.221 fireball

I should add I also make my own 221 Fireball brass from military 223 brass. The process is pretty simple but somewhat labor intensive. On the plus side, I'm never without brass. On the minus side, it took a bit of my time to do it.

I do the same with 25-06 from military 30-06 brass. In both cases (no pun intended) I have to turn the case necks.
I have 1,000 Remington and 200 Lapua brass available.

I have had (2) 221 Fireball's and loved them. I can not remember what the loads were for the life of me except that it was a 50 gr bullet.
Both shot really well. One was a Sako Vixen, and the other was a Remington LVSF.

Nice rig. My 700 Fireball started life as a Light Varmint Stainless Fluted (LVSF). Swapped out the tupperware stock for a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate and put an older Redfield wide field of view scope on it. Very accurate little rig but not so light with the laminate stock. My longest kill shot was a crow at ~ 230 yards. Groundhogs always seem to be closer in but the property doesn't have really long shooting lanes.

I'm in Cutback's camp. I've tried lots of powders and bullets but far and away my favorite powder for the Fireball is Reloader #7. Very consistent and very accurate with Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tips and Sierra equivalents. Never tried the Hornady bullets. H-110 and Lil'Gun are ok, 4198 is a step up from them. Do yourself a favor and try RL#7. Then try to stop smiling.
I also had VERY good results with H4227/Fed 205 primer on a Rem 700 action. I loved the rig, but migrated to .222 Remington CZ 527 with Lilja barrel. Both excellent.

This gun started because of the lack of rimfire ammo, specifically 17m2 I was foolish enough that when I did find 17m2 ammo I paid $15 a box that got me thinking I can almost reload cheaper than that.

Forgot to add: Longest groundhog kill w/.221 was 265 yards, DRT and one of the biggest I've ever shot.
For whatever reason, that Fireball round - at least in plastic-tip form - seems to be exceptionally lethal on 'chucks out to 250 yds. or so. Not a lot of spatter or acrobatics, but must really tear 'em up internally.

I have a portable reloading setup. I was doing load development for my fireball at the 100 yard range. I wait for the barrel to cool between shots and was sitting there studying the brass I had just ejected while waiting to shoot the next shot. A ground hog ran across the range and stood up directly in front of my target. Talk about a death wish. I didn't have to move the rig one inch side to side, just tilt it down a little. Hit him just above center of mass in the soft gut tissue. The ballistic tip bullet almost tore him in half.

Nice to know there are other FB lovers out there. I thought I had the only one in the country. My favorite gopher gun. 14.4 Lil'gun and 36gr homemade bullets using .22 cases for brass. Cheaper than .22 lr with a dem. in office.

My "One Gun, One Bullet" load is Speer 52gr TargetMatch with 20gr H322 @ 2,930 . In my load development, I got good groups with 35gr V-Max & 15gr LIL' Gun @ 3,469fps. Be careful with LIL' Gun. This 15gr load gives flat primers and a .002 pressure ring increase. Another powder with potential for 40gr bullets is IMR 4227. I don't have a final load with it though.

Nice to know there are other FB lovers out there. I thought I had the only one in the country. My favorite gopher gun. 14.4 Lil'gun and 36gr homemade bullets using .22 cases for brass. Cheaper than .22 lr with a dem. in office.
I agree, no one really knows much about them around here when I started building
I agree, the response has been great on here internet searches are all from years ago. Looks like there are lots of .221 shooters out there and I really appreciate all the load ideas!

If you want lots of information about the 221 FB check out Saubier.com. Lots of small caliber aficionados on that Forum. Very knowledgeable bunch and friendly too.

No one is clambering the 221 FB in a factory rifle and ammo is getting harder to find, therefore little interest from the general public. Too bad because it and the 17 FB are really great fun rounds to play with and they are stellar in a gopher patch.

If you want lots of information about the 221 FB check out Saubier.com. Lots of small caliber aficionados on that Forum. Very knowledgeable bunch and friendly too.

No one is clambering the 221 FB in a factory rifle and ammo is getting harder to find, therefore little interest from the general public. Too bad because it and the 17 FB are really great fun rounds to play with and they are stellar in a gopher patch.
Thank you will look into that site!

FWIW: CZ-USA used to occasionally bring in some Model 527s chambered in .221 Rem. Fireball; been awhile since I've seen any new ones. Had one, but didn't like the pencil barrel, and sold it for a Cooper and LVSF in the same.

A deceased buddy of mine bought a CZ 221 Fireball on my recommendation. He absolutely loved it and spent many hours on his deck in PA sending the ground hogs to ground hog heaven. CZ makes a good rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts