221 fireball reduced load

I would like to reduce them to be like a 22mag if even possible. I will be hunting squirrel with it.

Funny you say this. I was thinking about doing the same thing with something like an old 722 Remington in .222 just for fun. Be neat to squirrel hunt with a centerfire since rimfire is hard to find and is getting expensive. I was looking into something like what you are talking about. Hodgon lists 4grns of Trail Boss with a 55gr bullet going 1074fps but that is in a .223 REM, doesn't list any info for .221 reduced loads.

The 222 is a fun one to shot squirrel with i shot 14gr of imr4895 in my 700 bdl and tikka 512s. I Get very good results.

Ha I might have to find me a nice 722 or 700 standard weight barrel for squirrels haha. I mean my .22 Savage is awesome on squirrels (and yotes haha) but I think it would be cool to do it with a triple deuce! What bullet did you use and what was your velocity?

My dad come up with that load in the 70's and we have always went by it never did check velocities on them..but if u think that's something we used to reduce are 243win 80 fmj to do the same thing nothing funnner than hunting squirrel with a center fire to get ready for deer season. What part of wv u live in? I live in Nicholas county.

My dad come up with that load in the 70's and we have always went by it never did check velocities on them..but if u think that's something we used to reduce are 243win 80 fmj to do the same thing nothing funnner than hunting squirrel with a center fire to get ready for deer season. What part of wv u live in? I live in Nicholas county.

Haha that's a smart idea! Nice to see a fellow Mountaineer! I hale from Hancock County at the tip top of the state.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.