220 swift load advise

wildcat

Hey guys, I am getting ready to load for my new 220 swift. I would like to load 50grn V-MAX, however, I have been hearing good things about the 40grn V-MAX. I will be using H380 powder, Federal 210M primers with remington brass.I will be shooting ground squirrels out to around 100 to 600 yards. Does anybody have any suggestions or load data they would like to share. My 220 swift will consist of the following; Remington Action with Speeedy Gonzales Sleeve peller bedded into a McMillan A-4 stock, Lilja 27" .930 dia with Holland brake, Jewell 2oz trigger, Kelby rings topped with Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm NXS.

I own two Ruger 77V in 220 Swift, and use primarily 55 grain bullets, sometimes 62 grain.

Some years ago, I tried to use 40 grain .224" Sierra round nose Hornet bullets in a Swift for short range head shots on cats and they were accurate and it worked; no exits, more often than not.

But, the pressures didn't build enough to expand the necks and I had some flame cutting on the outside of the necks, not all the way through, but enough to ruin the cases.

My message is that for ranges to 600 yards, you should be considering heavy bullets with a better BC. Even the 50gr. VMax is too light for Swift capacities. The 55 gr. VMax is a nice bullet for the 220Swift, as is the Nosler 55 Ballistic Tip. Hitting targets at that range will be easier with heavier bullets

With that cartridge and that contour and length of barrel, and that stock? Shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets. Why do you need a brake?

Good hunting. LB

I use 50g Vmax and 55g bullets with IMR 4064 in my 220 swify and save the 40g for my 22 hornet IMP

Work up to 45 grains of h414 and use the 50 grain nosler bt. Should be good for 4000fps +. Very accurate out of 3 different swifts. Good luck!

The 52gr A-max is also a good option. But not quite as explosive as V-max. I use 39.5gr of RL15 with 50 and 52gr bullets. 39gr with 55gr ballistic tip or v-max.

I decided to put a brake on it so there would be no recoil what so ever. Plus, I had the brake anyway, so why not put it on this project. Thanks for the info!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.