22-284 Load Book

Testing the intrest here on a book I have at the editors now then off to the printer. I have been shooting and working on collecting data for the 22-284 Winchester for some time now. This will be a reloaders hand book with history on the cartridge dating back to 1964, interesting facts on the wildcat and loads. Might start with 100 copies and see how it goes.

Lets hear your thoughts.
Intriguing. If I ever get into wildcatting this cartridge has been on my mind for a long time as a real candidate (that and the 6mm-06 ai and .30-338 lapua ai)

With the really high bc bullets out now (95 smk, 85.5 Berger, 88 eld m, 90 a-tip, 85 rdf.....) a 1 mile .22 is a serious proposition with this chambering.

With the high for weight bc 53 grain nosler varmageddon and hornady vmax a 500 yard "hold on hair" coyote cannon is a most entertaining thought.

Just came in and ready to ship Pm me for details.
View attachment 154899
To Bob The Nailer: Received your subject 22-284 load data manual. The data that was presented in the manual was of no real value to my current reloading needs. I have already acquired the historical data presented & was looking for some data using the more modern slow powders (R-23.25,26, N-217, etc) & heavy bullet weights (70 to 80 gr range).
My current experimentation led to the development of a good load using R25 & a Barnes 78 gr TSX at 3775+/_ fps; Acculube coated bullet, 26"-1:8 ROT stainless barrel. Three shot group is a ragged hole & the barrel does NOT heat up. Used this load to harvest four whitetail deer in our (NYS) big-game season. All were DRT & no bullets were recovered. Accuracy & killing power beyond reproach. Barnes has again done their job in providing us with premium hunting bullets that simply get the job done without breaking the bank. Reloading development will continue in the early Spring using Barnes 70 gr TSX bullets & also Norma 217 which has the approx. burn rate of R25. I believe the 22-284 is best utilized with current mono-metal bullets(coated) in that their design can't fail the user other than in not being able to find an accurate load for a given rifle. Thank you again for your consideration.

To Bob The Nailer: Received your subject 22-284 load data manual. The data that was presented in the manual was of no real value to my current reloading needs. I have already acquired the historical data presented & was looking for some data using the more modern slow powders (R-23.25,26, N-217, etc) & heavy bullet weights (70 to 80 gr range).
My current experimentation led to the development of a good load using R25 & a Barnes 78 gr TSX at 3775+/_ fps; Acculube coated bullet, 26"-1:8 ROT stainless barrel. Three shot group is a ragged hole & the barrel does NOT heat up. Used this load to harvest four whitetail deer in our (NYS) big-game season. All were DRT & no bullets were recovered. Accuracy & killing power beyond reproach. Barnes has again done their job in providing us with premium hunting bullets that simply get the job done without breaking the bank. Reloading development will continue in the early Spring using Barnes 70 gr TSX bullets & also Norma 217 which has the approx. burn rate of R25. I believe the 22-284 is best utilized with current mono-metal bullets(coated) in that their design can't fail the user other than in not being able to find an accurate load for a given rifle. Thank you again for your consideration.

Thank you for your comments. You are correct in that this book contains historical data "This will be a reloaders handbook with history on the cartridge dating back to 1964 . . ." and full of recipes!
Best of luck to you with your experimentation of modern loads.

I'm new to the forum, not seeing anywhere to start a PM conversation (being computer illiterate doesn't help). If you could please send a pm with payment details I'll send my contact info and get payment sent. Thanks