22-284 Load Book

Bob the nailer

Testing the intrest here on a book I have at the editors now then off to the printer. I have been shooting and working on collecting data for the 22-284 Winchester for some time now. This will be a reloaders hand book with history on the cartridge dating back to 1964, interesting facts on the wildcat and loads. Might start with 100 copies and see how it goes.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Good luck with the Book , had a gunsmith that wanted to build me one ,I declined because I thought the 220Swift was enough, & my piggy banks always empty . Turned out that same Smith chambered three ofmy rifles n they all shot Great, they say hindsights 20/20...so I probably missed out on another Great shooter , but this was way before fast twist bbls were ever thought of . Now fast twist that 22/284 with a 1/7 twist #5conture ss/cut rifled bbl 26 inchs ,with Sierras 80 or 90 GN bullets, you get my drift lol . Thks

Traded my 22-284 off. Fun gun, just never shot it. 80 gr bergers at 3550-3600 fps out of a 27" Brux with R25 or N570. Good luck with the book.

I just picked up a benchrest gun that came with two barrels, they were marked 6mm AAHS, .224 AAHS. After doing some research and having the chambers cast, I found out that the AAHS was Accuracy Arms Homer Strickland in Anchorage Alaska, and the castings revealed 6mm-284 and 22-284, both have a 40 degree shoulder, possibly mimicking an Ackley Improved? Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if I should just have them rechambered to these same chamberiings to fit the standard 6mm-284, 22-284 cartridges, also standard neck to get away from having to neck size. Any thoughts ?
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Yes, I'm very interested in your book and if you could share some thoughts with me, that'd be awesome too. Feel free to PM as well.

Thanks,
Tony

P.S.- the gunsmith said that the barrels are 8 twist maybe 8.25

Testing the intrest here on a book I have at the editors now then off to the printer. I have been shooting and working on collecting data for the 22-284 Winchester for some time now. This will be a reloaders hand book with history on the cartridge dating back to 1964, interesting facts on the wildcat and loads. Might start with 100 copies and see how it goes.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Lets hear your thoughts.
To Bob The Nailer: Just joined this wild party of rifle shooters. Read your input on the 22-284. I had one made up about 35-40 years ago from a M70 barreled action in 22-250, 1 in 14 ROT, 24" bbl. There were no real good heavy 22 cal. bullets being manufactured, so I primarily used Nosler 60 gr SB spitzers & vintage(the good ones) Hornady 60 gr HP's. Powders were N-MRP, Rel-22 & IMR 7828 and primers were Fed 210 M & Winchester LRP. Brass was Winchester 284 unprimed in the vintage white & red boxes. This was & still is the best brass for the money in my experience.
Rifle was deadly! I used it as a light deer rifle & as a walking varmint rifle for crows, chucks, coyotes, etc. Results were very simple: aim, pull the trigger & DRT. Any game to 275+/- yds. was line of sight. It was a good wildcat experience for that time frame & what was available. Reloading for the cartridge is straight forward with 1/2MOA obtainable. Rifle was retired, bbl. was pulled (& sold) & the rest put in storage.

Now its 2019 & us handloaders now have a smorgasbord overflowing with components to choose from. With the advent of GOOD slow powders & GOOD heavy 22 cal. bullets, I had the old rifle just rebuilt to a better standard for new adventures. My smith in CO installed a Hart(NY) stainless 1 in 8 ROT 26' heavy sporter weight bbl. Modified the internals to a WSM box magazine & WSM follower for greater COAL & no feeding issues with the 284 case. Entire rifle is stainless except for the receiver. This was sent out for Mahovsky's Metalife plating which looks identical to stainless steel. It is the probably the best way to make a firearm weatherproof. With the rifle completed, its time for the reloading game to begin.

My current plan is to load using Barnes 70 & 78 gr. solids with the better slower powders & the same components used prior. I would be very much interested in obtaining a copy of your reloaders handbook for this catridge. I also have most, if not all of the historically published info on the cartridge, collected since I started using it.
Please advise on how I can obtain your handbook. Thank you.

L.T.L.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Lets hear your thoughts.
To Bob The Nailer: Just joined this wild party of rifle shooters. Read your input on the 22-284. I had one made up about 35-40 years ago from a M70 barreled action in 22-250, 1 in 14 ROT, 24" bbl. There were no real good heavy 22 cal. bullets being manufactured, so I primarily used Nosler 60 gr SB spitzers & vintage(the good ones) Hornady 60 gr HP's. Powders were N-MRP, Rel-22 & IMR 7828 and primers were Fed 210 M & Winchester LRP. Brass was Winchester 284 unprimed in the vintage white & red boxes. This was & still is the best brass for the money in my experience.
Rifle was deadly! I used it as a light deer rifle & as a walking varmint rifle for crows, chucks, coyotes, etc. Results were very simple: aim, pull the trigger & DRT. Any game to 275+/- yds. was line of sight. It was a good wildcat experience for that time frame & what was available. Reloading for the cartridge is straight forward with 1/2MOA obtainable. Rifle was retired, bbl. was pulled (& sold) & the rest put in storage.

Now its 2019 & us handloaders now have a smorgasbord overflowing with components to choose from. With the advent of GOOD slow powders & GOOD heavy 22 cal. bullets, I had the old rifle just rebuilt to a better standard for new adventures. My smith in CO installed a Hart(NY) stainless 1 in 8 ROT 26' heavy sporter weight bbl. Modified the internals to a WSM box magazine & WSM follower for greater COAL & no feeding issues with the 284 case. Entire rifle is stainless except for the receiver. This was sent out for Mahovsky's Metalife plating which looks identical to stainless steel. It is probably the best way to make a firearm weatherproof. With the rifle completed & scoped, its time for the reloading game to begin.

My current plan is to load using Barnes 70 & 78 gr. solids with the better slower powders & the same components used prior. I would be very much interested in obtaining a copy of your reloaders handbook for this catridge. I also have most, if not all of the historically published info on the cartridge, collected since I started using it.
Please advise on how I can obtain your handbook. Thank you.

L.T.L.

Well looks like enough intrest to get this book printed! so far most publishers want a percentage of book sales once an ISBN is associated with the book. Self publishing seems to be the better option just don't want to run copies off a printer, fold them over and call it good. Now that the weather is colder my stash of H1000 is wanting to burn some 22-284 loads.

This is the cover image to be sent off for editing and print.
IMG_20191022_202256.jpg