22-250AI or 22 creed

I just wish there was a little load data for the new 95smk so I could get a handle on what to expect. Looking for 3200 with that bullet, so I'm not sure what I'll need. I'm hoping that since the 22-250AI will push a 75 into the mid to high 3k's, that it'll do 3200 with the 95.
Here you go
Screenshot_20180205-123028.png

Nice, thanks. Looks like with a 24" or 26" barrel and maybe seating a little longer, it wouldn't be out of the question to hit 3100. That's right about where I'd want to be. And given that's with a regular 22-250, I think that 3100ish would be very doable.

I just haven't been able to locate a definite neck length. Do you guys happen to know this? And how about the talk of running loaded 22-250 brass in the chamber and fire forming...

The neck length on my reamer is .262. I've seen a reamer print with a .259 length, too. I simply necked down 6 Creedmoor brass and sent it to Manson to get the reamer made.

Recently, though, I'm using Lapua 22-250 brass. It's incredibly accurate and gives me a 22 Creed case when fireformed. My buddy shot a bunch of 22-250 loads he had reloaded and they work like a charm in the 22 Creed. I was trimming my 6 Creed brass to 1.900" and I trim the Lapua to 1.890". It's shorter but it hasn't made a difference in accuracy. I've been looking at the chamber neck frequently with a borescope and don't see any issues with the shorter neck.

Incidentally, I settled on 45.5 grains of R26 with 82 grain Bergers in my 26" barrel. Average velocity is 3550. 45.5 grains of 4831SC gave 3517. I was 3650 with 48 grains of R26 with the 80 grain ELD-M. That one gave me 1.2" at 200 yards. 49 hit 3750 although I only took a few shots over the Magnetospeed with that one. None showed signs of pressure.

Last edited:
I'd say 3200fps is about it with 95gr and a 22-250 Ackley with a 26" barrel based on that load data...

That 22 Creed data sounds impressive!

Last edited:
Parshal,

Thanks for the info. Although it is not quite the neck length I would like, .262" is do-able and the velocities are outstanding. Yup. . .the 22 Creed is sounding better and better.

I think mine is just fast. Most of what I've seen is 3500 with the 75 grain amax but I've not seen many using R26 which is made of unicorn horns.

"R26 which is made of unicorn horns."

You got that right! Give RL23 a try, its **** close but much better in the stability department. . .and I think Peter Pan had Tinker Bell put a little "someth'n someth'n" in the mix! ! !

You got that right! Give RL23 a try, its **** close but much better in the stability department. . .!

Funny you post this just now. I just placed an order for 16 lbs. of R26 and almost added an eight pounder of R23 for that exact reason. I just know R26 so well I'm reluctant to try it. I'm not sure why when I've got 16 lbs. of 4831SC sitting around along with I don't know how many pounds of MRP, H1000, 7828SSC, etc.

I use RL23 in 280AI, 6.5x55AI Swede, 243 Win. and 300 WSM and it has done me very well. When I first started playing with the RL26 I couldn't believe the velocity jump without pressure I was getting, like you said. . ."unicorn horn shizz"! I live on the Gulf in Central Florida and that is where I shoot and load develop, its not the greatest when you hunt/shoot in other parts of the country/continent. RL26 was too temp sensitive and after reading about RL23 and talking to a few guys on another shooting forum I decieded to give it a whirl. Needless to say I'm very happy with it and what I gave up in performance was very little if anything. It's the "Pixy Dust" to the "Unicorn Horn"! If you stayed in the same shooting environment that you load developed your RL26 loads in, then yes, I would stick with it. . .awesome powder, but if you bounce around then you had better keep good dope notes.

I didn't read through all of the post real close so maybe this has already been mentioned but there is a brass company called Alpha Munitions that I'm told makes Lapua quality brass and they are making 22 Creedmoor headstamped brass. From talking to others they made a run of it, are changing a few things, then will have it available again here pretty soon. They have 6mm Creedmoor brass available now.

There is so little gained with improving the 22-250 case or the 243 case I just don't see that it's worth the effort. If you want more than a standard 22-250 has to offer, go up to a 22-243 or 22 Creedmoor. Same goes with anything based off the 243 case, why waste your time "improving" it to gain so little, if you want more case capacity, go to something with a bigger case like a 22-284.

The exception to this would be if your gunsmith has a fireforming setup and you can buy already formed brass, then it makes more sense.

I didn't read through all of the post real close so maybe this has already been mentioned but there is a brass company called Alpha Munitions that I'm told makes Lapua quality brass and they are making 22 Creedmoor headstamped brass. From talking to others they made a run of it, are changing a few things, then will have it available again here pretty soon. They have 6mm Creedmoor brass available now.

There is so little gained with improving the 22-250 case or the 243 case I just don't see that it's worth the effort. If you want more than a standard 22-250 has to offer, go up to a 22-243 or 22 Creedmoor. Same goes with anything based off the 243 case, why waste your time "improving" it to gain so little, if you want more case capacity, go to something with a bigger case like a 22-284.

The exception to this would be if your gunsmith has a fireforming setup and you can buy already formed brass, then it makes more sense.

Improving either a 22-250 or a 22-243 gains a decent amount actually but the best reason would be to reduce or virtually eliminate case stretching. 22 Creedmore sounds really good, but I don't think it can hang with a 22-243 Ackley for pure speed.

Improving either a 22-250 or a 22-243 gains a decent amount actually but the best reason would be to reduce or virtually eliminate case stretching. 22 Creedmore sounds really good, but I don't think it can hang with a 22-243 Ackley for pure speed.

Both gain about the same amount, between 3 and 4 grains measured in water. For me, that's not nearly enough to make it worth while.

I think you are absolutely correct that a 22 Creedmoor will not run with the 22-243 Improved with regard to velocity, but it's not exactly a fair fight considering the 22-243 Improved has more case capacity.

Trust me, I've had my fill of "improved" wildcats that gained very little case capacity but I went ahead and had them built anyway. I'll be honest though, some of them I'm still scratching my head and asking myself, now why did I do that.

Steel, what velocity difference did you have between the two in the 300 WSM?

I have recently moved into a new house, so you'll have to bare with me for exact numbers (gotta find my loading log book). . .for certain it was less than 60 fps. in favor of RL26 for velocity. Accuracy load with RL23 is running 180 gr. VLD's at 3115ish fps. in a 26" tube (according to my scope turret cap - LOL).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts