22-250 past 1000yds

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I may have to break my own heart here before to long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. My completly stock savage 22-250 varmint rifle has been by far the best shooting factory rifle I have ever shot. It will shot right around 1.5" 3 shot groups at 500yds and shot a .8 inch group a 400. The only problem with this is that a butterfly fart can blow this bullet off course. My shooting buddy has recently started shooting his 243win with the 105 a-max and I believe this round will stretch out past 1k. My question is does anyone here think a 22-250 with a 55gr ballistic tip going 3750fps with a bc of .267 ever even stand a chance for anything past 800 yds??? I have killed prairie dogs with this gun out to 710yds but I want something that I can stretch out to 1000 with that has no recoil.

Thanks
Steve Elmenhorst /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How about rechambering to 22-243 and shooting the heaviest, high BC bullets that will stabilize with your twist?

It would be a very cost conscience method of getting your rig to 1,000yds. IMO

lerch,
Your stock Savage probably has a 1-14" twist barrel that will limit you to 55gr bullet's, if you had a 1-8" twist barrel you could shoot 75-80gr bullets with a better B.C. that would make 1000yds a reality.
Reality for just the price of a new barrel, and a installation charge.
Do it you deserve it (just come up with a believeable lie for the wife or misstress)
B
P.S.no recoil means muzzle brake and lot's of noise ,ear protection is priceless for all the above(wife misstress and muzzle brake)

[ QUOTE ]
ear protection is priceless for all the above(wife misstress and muzzle brake)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lerch,
I have tried shooting my 22-250AI 1-14" twist at 1000 yards with 55 grain BLitzkings. <font color="blue">WASTE OF POWDER! </font> They lack the bc and weight to be a contender at that range even though they started out at 4000 fps. I even found a few laying on top of the dirt at the 1k backstop (1050 yards) and I almost could have dusted them off and re-loaded them!

I then built a seperate gun (same caliber) with a faster 1-8" twist to shoot the 80 grain Sierras. This gun has no brake and I can shoot at rockcucks out to 1300 yards all day with no fatigue at all. THe 80 grain Nosler is what I am currently shooting and it's bc is .440 and I am pushing it at 3350 from a 25 inch barrel. It stays supersonic WAY out there for a .22 cal.

As much as I love this rig, I will not be doing another one in the near future. If I jump to a 6-250 AI, I get better barrel life and the bullets take a full .1 increase in bc without too much extra recoil.

If you want to stay with a 22, sierra is coming out with a 90 grain bullet that will make the 22 even more potent. JLK has had this weight bullet forever but supply was weak. SIerra will now make it do-able.

Either way, you must do like Brain B says and get a fast twist barrel to make the smaller calibers long range contenders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 of the guys that used to hang out here is COBrad out of Aspen. The guy's 1 serious shooter, and he had a Cooper 14 twist 22-250, that he started using the JLK 52 LD out of, and it did OK to about 600 yds. in good conditions. There is 1 possibility IMO, and that's to try the 60 JLK LD. That bullet has a .339 BC, and is rated for a 12 twist which is std. for the Savage line 22-250/Swifts, but even then 1000 is a heckuva lot further than 600 or even 800 really.

I figured it was probably pointless. I have shot the gun this far before on paper and I posted a 14" group. If I get to go doggin this weekend I will still probably try to get one at 1k with this gun, I will also try with my buddies 243 win. We both just joined the VHA and I am planning on definanlty having me a plus 500 yard dog after this weekend and hopefully I will also be joining the 1k club. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kinda like ****ing in the wind IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fast twist 22-250AI would do it, or why not a 6BR or improved?

You will keep the "fun to shoot" aspect, and be much better in the wind, and still be friendly on components /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Its funny that how many pics you see in the VH magazine with guys using the small conventional 22 caliber rifles to get extremely long hits.

It is nothing to see a 22-250 to score in the 500 to 800 yard range and see them often in these printed pictures.

Hell, in the current magazine there is a 624 yard hit with a 204 Ruger.

The wildest one I have seen in VH magazine was a 1100 yard hit with a 223 AI using if you can believe it a 40 gr Ballistic Tip!!!

These amazing feats are not limited to the small calibers but also to the toy guns out there such as the AR-15 and AR-10s. Please do not get in a fuss because I called them "toy guns", just a nickname because of all the plasitc on many of these rifles.

These can be made quite accurate but with will never come close to the consistancy of a quality build bolt gun. Still you see them used all the time, hell on bottom right of page 197 there is a factory Armalite AR-10 in 308 that scored a 1018 yard hit.

Now I have shot several of these rifles, some that were built from the groud up and were truely impressive rifles but none were +1000 yard rifles.

All this said, my question is, How many shots do you think have to be taken to get a 223, or 308 AR-10 to score a hit at 1000 yards plus?

I wish we could put some limits on this and say it had to be a one shot kill, unfortunately either there would be alot of lying or the entries would drop off by about 80%.

Will a 22-250 Rem loaded with a 55 gr Ballistic Tip take a p.dog at 1K, sure it will. The consistancy is the issue here and this is all determined and controled by mother nature and she can be a real bear at times!

Lerch, just a little more patients my friend and you will soon have your +1000 yard hammer I promise you!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby -- i know the guy that used that 223 ack at 1100yds -- he definately has a FASTER than normal barrel as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My comment above was regarding the thread title, not the 600-800yd stuff.

I would compare it (22-250 and 55gn) to shooting the 308 at 1 MILE like i did the other week

Got several close proximity hits, and one direct steel hit but with about 120MOA of elevation to get there, it was ROUGH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

YMMV,
JB

Lerch,

Please do not take from my last post that I feel your wasting your time because that is hardly the case.

You have proven your rifles ability to potentially shoot 14" groups at 1000 yards. YOu land a 55 gr Ballistic Tip solidly on a chuck at this range it will kill it!

In a 14" group there is alot of area that could result in a miss but remember there are not to many rifles short of full blown customs that will shoot much better then your 22-250 with a 14" group at this range.

Hitting the target is first and formost and with p dogs it does not take all that much to put one on the ground, well, lower on the ground.

Shooting conditions will dictate your shooting. IF its breezy, save the ammo. If its dead calm give her hell, who knows what may happen. If nothing else you will prove to yourself what that rifle is capable of at this range!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

JB,

How many shots did it take to get a 40 gr Ballistic Tip into that prairie dog at 1100 yards? It isn't the speed I would worry about, its the .2 BC!!

Kirby Allen(50)

no offense taken fifty,
I know this rifle is a mean shooting little sucker but it isn't a 1k rifle. Honestly it really isn't a 700yd rifle but I can get their with luck. I have learned that shooting this thing at 1k is a lot like running a foot race with flip flops, you might get their in the end but you are gonna be ****ed off when you do. In a few months I will have my 1k hammer and no animal will be safe. Until then I am gonna trade this one off on a 243 when I get the chance.

Thanks
Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lerch , In my oppinion I'd go with a 243 Ackley Improved with a 1-8 twist barrel at least 24" . I know that mine will make it to 1k easly with a 107gr SMK or 105gr A-max both being launched over 3000fps.
Barrel wear isin't as bad as a super hot fast twist 22 and I don't think the recoil is an issue at all , my gun weighs aroun 12-13lbs and it just barley slides back in the bags at the shot. I've thought about putting a brake on it just to be able to spot my shots at closer ranges but have abandoned that thought.

Although here is a thought for you
Get a used 223 tactical barrel for you Savage they have a
1-9 twist then rechamber it to 22-250 or 22-250Ai and shoot the 69gr SMK's I know that a stock M-16 will get these out to 600yds with decient accuracy considering the platform its being shot from and if your launching them 300-500fps faster then you got a great chance of getting them to 1k accuratly. Used barrel = $100 , rechamber =$100 even if you can find a shot out 223 barrel if you have the shank set back a small amout and the extra depth of the 22-250 case should clean up the throat a good bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.