22-250 or 308

The 6.5 Creedmoor looks impressive so I think I will go it. Now just have to decide which rifle to get. Both the Savage model 11(Long Range Hunter) and 12(Long Range Precision) seem to get good reviews, only seen a few for Ruger and Weatherby. Has anyone shot both the 11 and 12 and how do they compare?

Pick your target, maximum distance you'll shoot, then bullet and the rest will fall into place.

The 6.5 Creedmoor looks impressive so I think I will go it. Now just have to decide which rifle to get. Both the Savage model 11(Long Range Hunter) and 12(Long Range Precision) seem to get good reviews, only seen a few for Ruger and Weatherby. Has anyone shot both the 11 and 12 and how do they compare?

I have not shot them both.

The 6.5 creedmoor is a better choice than either the .22-250 or 308 if you want to shoot 1000 yds. and the savages are twisted correctly for that with their 1 in 8 twist.

The basic differences between the 11 long range hunter and 12 long range precision are the 11 has a magazine while the 12 is single shot. The 11 has a skinnier barrel with a muzzle brake while the 12 has a heavier profile. The 11 is lighter than the 12 because of that. The stock on the 11 is injection molded plastic which is flimsy junk, the 12's stock is a more target oriented style from HS Precision that's built of stiffer fiberglass, it's a much better stock than what comes on the 11. The 11 has savage's standard action with the accutrigger, while the 12 has their target action with the target accutrigger which is a nicer trigger, it can be adjusted to a nicer trigger pull.

It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it's going to be hunted then I'd personally want a magazine, I have no use for a single shot hunting rifle. The weight of the M12 is too much to carry for me in a hunting rifle. If it's strictly going to be a target rifle then the M12 would be my preference without a doubt. I'd bet money on it being the more accurate of the two due to the target action and heavier barrel plus the better stock.

If you don't handload then you'll need to start. I know some guys shoot factory ammo and are happy with it, but they really don't know what they're missing if they don't handload. It opens up a whole new world of capabilities by being able to roll your own.

I have a model 12. It's extreemly accurate. But it's not a good hunting rifle. If I can get down on the ground and use my bipod, it's fine. But it's so front heavy, it's a pain to carry. I mean don't get me wrong, it's killed dozens of coyotes and other small critters and even a good handful of deer. But honestly, my model 12 is what led to the purchase of my model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 260rem. My model 10 is much more balanced and versitle, and still extreemly accurate. It's now my "go to" rifle.
I seriously considered the 11 long range Hunter. But it didn't have the Accustock and that was a big thing to me. But I liked the cheek piece on the 11. So I just added one to my model 10 and now it's exactly what I wanted.

It will be used both for target and varmint hunting but will be shot either from a bench or prone so weight is not a problem. Now if I can just find one at a local gunshop.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.