22-250 coyote

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by remingtonman_25_06, Dec 30, 2006.

1. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

Shot this coyote yesterday morning with my pops Ruger Target 22-250. Bullet was 40g vmax loaded to 4100fps. Range was 197 yards and he was running. Led him a couple feet and touched off and was able to see him roll! Thats always nice. Bullet entered in the neck leaving about a 2 inch entrance hole, it did not exit. He was a big male, I'm guessing he weighed around 25-30 lbs. I'll be skinning this one out. Right after that I missed one around 300-350 which was also running. Saw 6 more but they were all way to far, or they went over a hill before I could get a shot at any of them.

[​IMG]

2. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Nice shootin, that's a good lookin dog!

3. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Wow ,

That is some energy getting delivered --> no exit!

What kind of field is that ? And don't say big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
    Odd looking stalks.

4. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

I sold one of my co-workers my rifle like that. THey sure do shoot when you hit the right load.

Had to help fianance the .270 AM. Not a bad trade off. I had the 22-250 for close to three years and probably didn't run 50 rounds through it the whole time.

5. coupalr

coupalr Well-Known Member

Nice yote. I got a nice 42lbs male yesturday but it was in a snare, had another break the snare cable, must have been a real big one. Looks like canola stubble to me.

6. Fulldraw™

Fulldraw™ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Saw 6 more but they were all way to far, or they went over a hill before I could get a shot at any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too Far? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Say it Aint so! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great shot on the yote!

7. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I believe its a cut wheat field that they just ahven't plowed yet. Well the yotes I didn't shoot at were probly 1000 yards+ and they took off running. So with the rifle I had, they were indeed way to far.

8. Mountainsheep

Mountainsheep Well-Known Member

Good Shooting! That's a big yote. You should get a nice pelt off that one.

9. johngfoster

johngfoster Active Member

Congratulations on an excellent shot. Running shots are always a challenge, especially at distance. Beautiful coyote.