22.243 win

I believe the the Middlested has an improved shoulder and the 22-243Winchester does not. I shoot the 22-243win, but I'm shooting 75gr pills at the moment. These two chamberings are not identical. Middlested is improved 30 degrees.

I've had a 22-243 Mittlested for about 25 years, I knew the shoulder was a little steeper, but for all intents and purposes the load data should be the same. Maybe a few more grains in the Mittlested. My bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking at starting few grains below the middlested loads and working from there. I am just hoping some members have the 22.243 win and are shooting 80 gr. bullets. The powders I will start with is RL25, IMR 4350, H4831SC, RL22, etc.

I shoot a 22-243 with 80 grn Sierra's. I have used RL-25, H 4350, and currently use Retumbo. With the RL-25 it shot well and the load was about 3450 fps. I only shoot Hodgdon Extreme powders now. With the Retumbo I shoot 48.5 grs and velocity is 3350. With the RL-25 I was shooting 45.5 grs and shooting 3450. The H 4350 didnt shoot well in my rifle and was shooting 41 grs of it. I have been shooting this current load for about 4 years now.

I shoot 44 grains of 7828ssc in mine. 3420 avg with 80gr berger vlds. My roommate shoots 44.6 grains of 7828ssc with the 80gr amax's. Of course start lower and work up as both of these loads are near max. We are also both shooting lapua brass, some with 4 to 5 firings on them and still super tight primer pockets.

Colin

I havnt tried the A max. I have also used the 80 bergers. I use Lapua brass and Fed 210 gold metal match primers. I use the Sierra's for coyotes and deer.

cinch - not yet. He just recently switched over to gain a little more splat factor and more reliable feeding. He has shot less than 100 rounds with the amax's but hasn't had any failures as of yet.

My load data for the 22-243AI is below. The 75 A-Max was moly coated using the NECO method.

I use 2 grains less in the 22-243 (plain) but I think that some rifles could shoot the same load (48.2) providing that moly bullets were used.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.