22-243 ackley Whats the powder to use

reed mosser

I just put together a douglas 8 twist 27 inch 22-243 ackley and wanted to know what powder gives the best velcioty and accuracy with the 80 grain pills. I have gotten to 3750 with a old barrel and 7828 at around 47 grains of powder. I'm trying to improve on that if possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I have some shells loaded up with 53.5 grains of ramshot magnum and 80 grain a-max. Just wanted to know what options I have Thanks

The most accurate load in my 22-243AI is 48.2gr RE22 under the 75gr A-Max (moly)bullet. Velocity is 3,670 ft/sec from my 28" Hart, 8 twist barrel. I have used the same load with the 80gr SMK but the A-Max grouped better.

Best group was .625 @ 600yds, witnessed. As it stands, I've done this 100% of the time. I don't think I'll try it again for obvious reasons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dang your a smart feller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When I get a good group I don't like to mess it up either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

Rl 22 does work and shoot good in 22-250 ackleys and 22-243's. I'm trying to get a little more speed if possible. I was up to 3600 FPS today with 80 grain a-max and 53.5 grains of ramshot magnum. I'm going to going to try 55 grains and will find out if it is any faster than rl 22 and IMR 7828. Thanks for your reply

I should have mentioned that the 48.2gr of RE22 was a MAX load in my rifle and brass required regular body sizing. I would have prefered a little less velocity but when I reduced the charge I had an immediate increase in group size.

It seems that most rifles like max charges. I always have high expections of speed but if I can get 3700 FPS in a 26 inch tube i'll be happy. I'm getting pretty bad carbon fouling at 53.5 grains, if 55 doesn't max out on pressure and velcioty, im going back to 7828 ssc and maybe some ramshot hunter. You must have a good barrel 1000 rounds is great for a 22-243 ack. I'm hoping for 700 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Oddly enough, accuracy seems to have dropped off over the winter when the rifle sat in the caninet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It is not up to shooting as well with the A-Max so I tried the 80gr SMK again. Accuracy wasn't bad but not up to my expectations either.

I just sent the rifle out to have the barrel set-back and rechambered. My smith does not have a reamer for the AI version and fireforming can be a waste of good throat life. Soooo...... I am having 2" of barrel removed and then rechambered in 22-243 (plain).

I was very tempted to go the 6mmBR route but I have some rather expensive 22-243AI dies (Redding & Wilson custom) and new Lapua brass on hand. I also have plenty of 75gr-80gr bullets in inventory.

The 6mmBR may have to wait for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just got a new PTG no turn match 22-243 ackley reamer set up for the 75 and 80 grain pills. The 22-243 seems to be almost identical in performane to a 22-250 ackley they both hold around 44 grains of rl 22 to the base of the neck. You can't compare a 6 br to a 22-243 ackley fast twist. You just cant. It's like a 308 and a 300 ultra they both have their place, but completely different animals. Let me how you gun shoots after the rechamber.

The 6mmBR wasn't expected to replace the 8 twist 22-243AI, ballistically. Sometimess you just yearn for horse of a different color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Some 22-243 (plain) shooters were getting the same velocity as I was with the AI version. However, you rarely get something for nothing in this game, so I assumed they were running higher pressure than I was. Personally, I prefer to stay away from chamber bursting pressure and give my Lupua brass a brake when ever possible.

Looks like I'll have to replace the inner sleeves on my dies to accomodate the new cartridge.

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a new PTG no turn match 22-243 ackley reamer set up for the 75 and 80 grain pills. The 22-243 seems to be almost identical in performane to a 22-250 ackley they both hold around 44 grains of rl 22 to the base of the neck. You can't compare a 6 br to a 22-243 ackley fast twist. You just cant. It's like a 308 and a 300 ultra they both have their place, but completely different animals. Let me how you gun shoots after the rechamber.

[/ QUOTE ]
after reading this I had to check it out. I used win748 powder and filled both to the base of the neck (3 times just to make sure it was accurate) the 22-250AI holds 47.5gr and the 22-243 held 53.8gr. I'm sure there are different chamber and brass variations but the 22-243 has at least a 10% bigger powder cap.
David Tubb's 6XC cartridge is basicly a 22-250 Imp 30 degree shoulder necked up to 243, he claims it is 7grains smaller than a 243Win. just some added info to kick around.
UB

It's been a while since I compared the cases. I think i used 7828 or RL 22. I was comparing win 22-250 ackley brass to virgin 22-243 laupa brass. maybe thats the difference. Thanks for your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.