215 berger bullets on 1-11 twist

trazman

What do you think is it worth trying 215 berger hybrid bullets in my .300win mag with a 1-11" twist? Has anyone tried?

I shoot 210 VLD's in a 11.25 5R barrel, and it stablizes them just fine. There's several folks shooting them right now, but not sure to what success rate. I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

I think they'll fly straight and group well, but you'll be leaving a good amount of BC on the table. Check out the Berger stability calculator which estimates BC loss for marginally stabilized bullets:

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

The only way I think you won't loose a lot of BC with the 11 twist is if you're at high altitude, like 5000 feet or higher.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Take care,
-Bryan

They didn't do great at 1000 Br with an 11 twist. They would have wild fliers in the group. You are on the edge of stability. You would do better with a 10 twist. There is nothing wrong with the 210 Hunting VLD. It has a great BC and really kills. I have shot great groups at 1000 with this bullet. In my guns it prefers to be in the rifling about 10. I don't think you would see much difference out to 1000 or so. Matt

They didn't do great at 1000 Br with an 11 twist. They would have wild fliers in the group. You are on the edge of stability. You would do better with a 10 twist. There is nothing wrong with the 210 Hunting VLD. It has a great BC and really kills. I have shot great groups at 1000 with this bullet. In my guns it prefers to be in the rifling about 10. I don't think you would see much difference out to 1000 or so. Matt
The 210's in my .300 Ackley (26" 1:10) are awesome. I'm getting good velocity and accuracy, so that gun and load combo (once load development has been finalized) should be a formidable rifle for hunting out to 1,500.

Yep MudRunner your right we shot them a lot in a 308 Baer which is almost the same as your Ackley. They shoot good in a WSM also. I have killed groundhogs out to 1500 with them. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.