208 a-max or 208- bthp

The 208 BTHP is new to the Hornady competition line up. It has a .620 BC where the A-max has a .648 BC. So it is a matter of what your rifle likes and how they perform. Some guys prefer a BTHP over the plastic tip. I know that the 178 BTHP boasts a BC of .530, but it is closer to .505. Brian Litz tested the 178 and got closer to .502. So it is a matter of preference really. If you have a tight enough twist (1:10), then you could use there new 225 grain bullet.

Tank

not much info out there on hunting with the 208 BTHPs yet. However the 208gr A-max (at least with the old jacket) was proven effective and expanded down to close to 1500fps impact velocity. I personally shot 6-8 hogs and deer in total over the last 2 years with .30cal A-maxs, both 178gr and 208gr. I love em. Kill both paper and game very well, while leaving my wallet to fight another day.

not much info out there on hunting with the 208 BTHPs yet. However the 208gr A-max (at least with the old jacket) was proven effective and expanded down to close to 1500fps impact velocity. I personally shot 6-8 hogs and deer in total over the last 2 years with .30cal A-maxs, both 178gr and 208gr. I love em. Kill both paper and game very well, while leaving my wallet to fight another day.
+1gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.