204 Upper

Bay Devil

I built an AR a couple of years ago with a Rock River Arms .204 upper. Waited a year for the barrel and upper to arrive. Super precise but ended up too heavy for a walking gun for night calling predators. I never use the 204 upper and only ran 150 rounds thru it. I needed a lighter rifle to walk with.

I ordered Ruger American in 204 to have the lighter carry rifle. It has a 4" shorter barrel than the AR upper. I assume it should still shoot good as the twist rate on the RAR is 1-12 on a 16.6" barrel. The AR Upper is 20" heavy stainless and fluted. Do you think the length will affect the accuracy? I do not expect shots beyond 200 yards here in SoTx.

The RRA .204 upper shot superb. It is off now as I put a 300 blackout upper to shoot subs suppressed.
I get the Ruger American Ranch Talo 204 this week and will mount optic and sight in. Won't know until that time. Going to suppress and use that for my night call rifle.

Any machinest can turn down a barrel to reduce weight. I was given a 20inch bull .936 or something AR15 in .223. I just chucked it up on the lathe and turned it down with a taper to make a .750 gas block size and then straight at somthing like .650 to the end.

To get any speed the 204 like to be longer. I use 20 and 24 inch ars