.204 Ruger

Warrenoliver

I have the itch to get a .204 Ruger for target shooting and occasional varmint shooting. I want a left hand model and would really like a Tikka but I don't see any of these available. I see that savage has this in left hand model but I know nothing about them. How accurate are the savage rifles? Which model is preferred? I would like to stay below $800 . Are there others in this price range?
Thanks

90% of these questions seem pretty suited for google.
in regard to Savage, as with most rifle makers, cost determines quality.
I have a Savage L.P.V. 12 in 223 wearing a vx5hd 4-20 that shoots .25" groups with cheap hornady ammo. That is not an endorsement of all of their products, just the one I own.
As for preference, that's on you. My advice is to find a gun store that will let you get behind a rifle and feel the comfort, or lack there of, on the floor. If you can find someone local that will let you shoot one, even better.
gold luck and remember, there is always an aftermarket for upgrades.
j

forgot to add, my wife used to run a Ruger M77 target/varmint in 204
it was a 1 hole gun at 100 yards with factory ammo. I personally shot a coyote at 398y. The billet impacted just below her ear. Almost took its head clean off.

I don't know anything about these. Are they accurate?
If memory serves from articles I read years ago, yes. I'd recommend searching forum reviews. (Because IMO, most paid writers who do product reviews publish lies.)
I looked at them at the Cabelas in Hamburg PA in 2015. Felt good, ugly, interesting concept, but after pricing out the cost of a caliber swap (then) thought, "I'd rather have two Savages."
There are also vids on Youtube.
Of course, YMMV.

I have a savage LRPV in a 204. Absolutely love the gun! Extremely accurate. I've shot rockchucks over 400yds, longest at 458yds. Brother-in-law killed 1 at 511yds! Topped with an Athlon Helo 6 x 24.

I have the itch to get a .204 Ruger for target shooting and occasional varmint shooting. I want a left hand model and would really like a Tikka but I don't see any of these available. I see that savage has this in left hand model but I know nothing about them. How accurate are the savage rifles? Which model is preferred? I would like to stay below $800 . Are there others in this price range?
Thanks
I have a 204adl Remington very accurate and devastating on varmints of all sizes

Thanks

I love Tikka and Sako rifles, but some of the way they do things **** me off.
1. You can get some in left hand stainless rifles only in certain calibers
2. You can get some models in left hand but not in certian calibers or stainless?
3. Sako just dosen't like lefties as most manufacturers.

I would really like this explained to me.

Just curious about left hand model. I am left handed. When just shooting from a bench, I've learned I prefer right handed guns. When action is open I can see right in. We all know bench rest actions can be ordered with port on either side. There is a reason for this. Operate the action with right hand. Now in the field, walking/hunting I definitely prefer left hand rifles.

Just curious about left hand model. I am left handed. When just shooting from a bench, I've learned I prefer right handed guns. When action is open I can see right in. We all know bench rest actions can be ordered with port on either side. There is a reason for this. Operate the action with right hand. Now in the field, walking/hunting I definitely prefer left hand rifles.
I shoot my son's 6.5 creedmoor in right hand and it works ok although it is a pain to reach over the scope to work the bolt. I may have to settle for a right handed model since the lefties are very hard to find.

That is the nice thing about the Savage LRPV. It is a single shot, bolt is on r/h side, ejects on r/s but is a L/h feed! Would be very handy for L/H! Also, that model comes with their Target Accutrigger. Very nice trigger!!

@P7M13 beat me to mentioning TC. I don't know if they offer a lefty but I have the Venture model in 204 Ruger (slightly higher cost than the compass), but it shoots really well, half MOA. Definitely won't do one hole groups but that's asking a lot of a factory rifle, some get that lucky, most don't. I love the 20 cal though, very fun to shoot and very effective out to about 300 yards on Prairie dogs, I've done a few at 400 but it's challenging, and past 400 forget it.

Nice things about TC
  • 10 twist barrel, so you can stabilize most of the available 20 cal bullets. A lot of the factory rifles are 12 twist and guys have a lot of trouble with the 40gr and heavier bullets.
  • Low cost, but others are as well
  • 3 lug bolt, so bolt throw is more like 60 degrees rather than 90
  • Good trigger, won't go super light (without mods) but it's pretty good for a factory trigger
Downsides
  • Not the smoothest action when it hasn't been cleaned (neither are most cheap rifles)
    • I think this is because the bolt diameter is huge, it seems like that causes a little extra friction due to the extra surface area. I keep mine cleaned off and oiled and it runs fine if I stay on top of that.
  • If you want something that offers aftermarket upgrades, TC is not for you. Someone did come out with a bolt handle, and Boyd's has stocks, other than that there is nothing I know of available for them.
    • I modified a bottom metal for mine to be able to accept AICS mags because the TC mag is cheap feeling and only holds 3 rounds. That was no small undertaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.