204 build questions / suggestions

DXHI

Trying to consider all options on a budget (relative)
I have a savage model 12 ... Looking to shoot for coyotes and Prarie dogs
I'm upgrading the stock and considering a bell and Carlson in the mM40 style or should I break down and just get a manners (twice as much)... How much will the difference in quality matter for 500 yards or less... Compared to the factory plastic

Gun is already incredibly accurate with factory Ammo.. Getting set up to hand load ..
I'm spending a lot of $$$ on the scope to upgrade

Personally I really love the M40 stock and McMillan makes custom stocks that are really tough to beat and the price won't break the bank.

I love the .204Ruger. I got one in the CZ527 as a gift shortly after the caliber first came out and out to 300-400yds it is really bad medicine on any kind of varmint/predator.

Further out than that thought with the low BC bullets the wind will start to eat you up awfully fast. I've also been shooting the .220 swift since the 1980's in several different platforms and love it to death for LR varmint hunting or even deer inside of 400yds.

You might check around and see if one of the CZ's in the Kevlar models is still floating around as you can buy them new or could for less than the cost of a new custom stock. The quality of the CZ barrels and actions cannot be beaten for twice the money.

Both McMillan, H-S Precision and B&C make very nice varmint model stocks and quality wise I'd rate them in that order. I own stocks from all three manufacturers and I'm generally happy with them although I have had some problem with the B&C's chipping.

DXHI,

More to the point is which one is most suited to the kind of shooting you choose to do and then which one is most comfortable for you to shoot in those positions.

I shoot coyotes from a stand, usually sitting in the desert in some scrub or weeds calling across some sparse vegetation and flats. Sometimes I can get a little elevation to watch the area down below me as the hunt unfolds. My rifle is being shot offhand since you generally don't know the exact direction the coyote will come in from. The stock needs to be comfortable for the offhand position and easily carried.

I shoot prairie dogs from a bench with bags or a bipod and a bag. The stock necessarily needs to be able to ride a bag or bipod interchangeably. Mostly I shoot from a rest in the front and a bag in the rear.

I consider the B&C M40 to be a good offhand stock but not as useful relatively off of a bag and rest. It will behave on a bipod though.

The HS Varmint 2000 stock on the other hand has a small flat and is slightly wider on the front of the stock which both rides the bag and front rest quite well. I am also comfortable carrying the rifle as well as shooting it offhand since I like the slightly wider forearm for grip.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...shot-repeater-stocks-psv-102-106-118-121.html

While you are upgrading your stock you need to add bedding into the mix of cost since that will enhance accuracy more than just bolting the barreled action into a block of aluminum.

Gun is already incredibly accurate with factory Ammo.
How accurate?

I'm spending a lot of $$$ on the scope to upgrade
Which scope specifically?

Good Luck with the process of choosing!

Regards.

My .204 is a sit in one place p-dog gun so I put a Boyds on it and went to down with improvements to fit that style of shooting. If you want to walk around, I'd get the M40 style. Not too heavy and higher cheek rest. I would only go with a manners if you are wanting to fork out and get the top of the line and get a lighter stock...but note the heavy barrel will significantly change the center of gravity on a light stock. Put the money into a scope and save on a stock.

I ordered the bell and Carlson .. M40 actually wasn't offered in a configuration that would fit mine :(
Got the varmint /tactical version.... Saving money now for a new night force. Got one and love it...want another

Right now the gun will put all three rounds touching at 100 yds in its factory clothing .. Really want to try and get 3 in the same hole especially with hand loads on the horizon

I ordered the bell and Carlson .. M40 actually wasn't offered in a configuration that would fit mine :(
Got the varmint /tactical version.... Saving money now for a new night force. Got one and love it...want another

Right now the gun will put all three rounds touching at 100 yds in its factory clothing .. Really want to try and get 3 in the same hole especially with hand loads on the horizon
You're not likely to beat that performance without spending many thousands of dollars on a very heavy benchrest gun.

A worthy pursuit... Maybe. Both of the factory 204s I picked up shot similarly to yours with hornady factory loads and I spent a lot of time trying to get my reloads to match factory stuff! Haven't played with it much in a while, went to factory stuff when time was short, sold my savage and kept the ruger #1 and haven't changed a thing. Still shoots dimes even with me pulling the trigger and a sub par scope. Food for thought gun)

My CZ 527 is as the prior post. Very accurate. If you're touching all 3 holes, your gun is already there. I would accessorize for comfort if you need to, but good optics is really the key to a successful P-Dog outing. That's here I would spend the $$$.
Good luck, the .204 is a awesome round.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.