2016 so far

TysonLeal

Saw Greyfox's post and owed him a thank you for all his knowledge shared on 6.5x284.
Bought the rifle in 2014, spent 2015 learning to reload, and getting to know her.

2016 First morning 200 yards, ear hole bang flop. 150lbs boar.
3 weeks later, mid morning caught the big boar sleeping in a field...woke up then went right back to sleep. 40yards 300ish with 4.5" teeth.

Week later, last light this buck stepped out at 400, dialed up 2 MOA and sent the 120 TTSX on its way. braodside, right behind the shoulder and dropped like he was hit by lightening.

120TTSX used on all, all clean pass throughs, no bullet recovery and didn't have to chase.

Also learned a bit about rifle limitations. Love my 6.5, but still not that glove feeling of my good ole model 70 and sneak hunts are better made with my 22" barreled 270.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 91
Congratulations, Tyson! He's a nice buck. I can't tell for sure; was he a coues deer?

There's magic in 6.5MM bullets. The Swedes use the 6.5 Swede on everything, including their version of moose. While I don't own a 6.5MM caliber rifle, I do know of excellent section densities of 6.5MM bullets. My guess is that your rifle would work on all species of deer in North America. With a 140 grain bullet, I'd bet it'd work on big bears.

I do agree with you about a 22" barreled .270 Win. I own one that's going with me to Utah in a few days, maybe a week.

I wish you continued success.

Sans- he's a California blacktail.
Just realized the other pics didn't post. Try it again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 100
Hi Tyson,

Do you live in the Golden State? I live in So Cal.

He's an excellent black tail. And it sure looks like you're thinning out CA's wild boar herd. That's a whole lot of bacon.

I think you're going to be doing a lot more hunting with your 6.5x284.

I wish you continued success with your new rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.