2015 Once in a lifetime ND Bull

Hornhunter32

My dad and I hiked in about two miles to a water hole on September 6th, but never got there because I spotted a cow feeding on the edge of a cedar thicket. We watched her and two other cows feed for 30 minutes before they bedded down.

I climbed to the top of the ridge and got my gun set up so I could shoot prone. I had everything ranged and ready to go when they decided to get up.

Around 4:00 PM, the cows started to head towards the water hole about 600 yards to the SW of me. I counted 16 cows and calves, but no bulls. I knew there had to be a bull in the area so we just waited.

About 15 minutes later, out stepped the bull of my dreams. I ranged him at 350 yards, dialed my scope and dumped him with one, well placed, high shoulder shot from my 280 AI. He went about 50 feet before expiring.

The real work began after the photo shoot. It took way longer than I thought to quarter and cape the bull. We didn't get back to the truck until 1:00 AM.

The next day, a rancher I know graciously agreed to help me pack him out. He brought his entire family and one of their hired hands. I can't thank them enough!

It was a hunt of a lifetime. I was able to take a huge bull with my dad on public land in the great state of ND. It doesn't get any better than that!

He grossed 360 1/8.

Attachments

• 2015 ND Elk.jpg
    2015 ND Elk.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 207
Awesome!! Congratulations on making the correct choices leading up to and including the shot.

Hats off to the rancher that helped pack!

Best,

Jack

Great bull!!! Congrats... Your bull makes 3 real dandies taken this year.(300+) Did you shoot this bad boy out west or up north?

My favorite part of your story was the rancher friend who brought his whole family to help pack out. That is truly what our state is all about. People helping people.

Great story....great bull.

Jayson

Did you check him in at Buffalo Gap in Medora? There usually is a ton of on lookers hanging around watching the hunters bring in their elk. It's a carnival like atmosphere down there during elk season.

Congrats again...super cool!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.