2013 - Pennsylvania Elk Hunting/Application

I hope the Elk are bigger than the deer I've seen along the Pennsylvania Turnpike and I80. Those deer look like large dogs....

Anyway, I hope someone on here pulled a tag.

Here in Michigan if you draw, a DNR officer accompanies you when you hunt, for what purpose, I have no idea. If it was me, I'd have him (or her) carry the hot cocoa and pack it out... animal that is.:)

Some of the top Boone and Crocket scores come from this state believe it or not!

Some of the top Boone and Crocket scores come from this state believe it or not!

I'll take you word for that. I've just never seen any (along the berms in the evening playing tag with cars....lol). You have the right topography and vegitation to support large animals just like we do in Northern Michigan.

Far as elk go, our herd in the upper eastern lower is very closely managed by the DNR. My only concern is that CWD is present in that area in whitetails. Any deer taken in that area must be checked and tested.

I'd still give a bundle for a non-resident tag to hun the Ravenna Aresenal. That place (like the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Michigan,) is filthy with deer (and who knows what else) because both compounds are entirely surrounded by 12 foor high chain link fences. The Chelsea property is private bu the Ravenna property is a partially decomissioned government base.

Hunting

Here's one from 2011

I guess...

I see he was a Buckeye. Maybe I'll have to get in on the draw myself. That kind of animal offsets the non-resident permit.

I don't say what firearm or caliber used. Does the state specify on Elk?

Hasn't been any elk in the freezer for years. I really like elk meat. Bear ain't bad either.....

they have become a pita. i wish they would shoot them all and bring back the deer. i saw 4 large bulls along rt 555 on my way to and from dubois monday.
then 2 more bulls in my yard that evening. i havent seen a single buck all summer except a couple small spikes. its pitifull what the game commission
has done to the deer herd in the nc area in order to promote the elk.
we were told at a local meeting 30 years ago the area couldnt support more than 2 deer per sq. mile due to tree growth. we have more elk than that per sq mile now and they eat the same stuff. they knew that back then but they told the hunters to get further off the roads for more deer. even the game
wardens are ashamed to show their faces anymore. when they get into the
farm areas they get shot quick because those guys arent going to have their lives ruined by the whims of the game commission.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.