2010 Buffalo River Bull

DanMan

IMG_0618_1.jpg

I got this Bull opening morning along the Buffalo National River in the Arkansas Ozarks. With dense fog rolling off of the river He was just in the edge of visibilty at a whopping 100 yds. He was thrashing a tree with his rack and I couldn't see that he had broken off his G2 until after he was down. He ended up being a respectable mature 5x5 that I will be happy to hang on my wall. 300 WinMag 180 accubond

Man I wanna elk hunt where you do. Rifle season in a T-shirt, close to the rutt, and flat ground no less! :D You sir have it made! Congrats on the bull. Its bigger than the 5 point on my wall even without the G2.

Edit; I just re-read my post and it seemed a bit gruff. I was not thumbing my nose at your hunting ground. It was meant as an envious compliment. Again, nice bull. congrats

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the compliments.
Yes WinMag it was physically the easiest elk hunt that I've done, by far!
My last bull was at 11000 ft in the snow, 15 horse miles from the trailhead.
This was a rare opportunity only a 2 hour drive from where I live. The worse thing was unusually hot 90+ degree afternoon temps. Had to work fast to take care of the meat. Anyway didn't have to worry about any griz or wolves on this one.
Went swimming in the river the afternoon after the hunt.:)

Man that is awesome, I have been through that area several times and never seen an elk in my home state. It would be nice to hunt them there, but those of us from Arkansas are pretty envious of the western state hunters.

So you were one of the few lucky folks to draw an AR tag this year. Congratulations!

I submitted, but alas i wasn't drawn. How many years have you submitted for the drawing?

I'm hoping to get lucky this year, and unleash the .338 lapua.

I have applying since the first hunt. I think its been 12 or 13 years. Keep trying. You never know- somebody will get drawn it might as well be you.:)
It really is a super and unique experience getting to hunt elk in the Ozarks.

Congratulations on a nice bull!
How many bull tags do they give out? I'm assuming it is resident only.
They are going to introduce elk here in Missouri this year. Pretty cool!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.