200gr SMK's in .30-338

jbeckstrand

200gr SMK\'s in .30-338

I was just wondering if anyone ever has trouble getting smk's to shoot well. I'm having some trouble getting good groups with these but I can't believe that they won't shoot well. The last loads were with 74 grs. H-1000 and Fed 215gm primers. In a 5 shot group the first two would touch, the next 2 would touch an inch to the right and the fifth would end up somewhere in between. Any advice?

Justin

Re: 200gr SMK\'s in .30-338

Are you saying that your spread is almost all horizontal and almost nothing vertical?

If yes, then it sounds like it might be mechanical.....You, bags, bedding, etc.

edge.

Re: 200gr SMK\'s in .30-338

I've wore out four .30-.338, 1:12 twist, 28-inch barrels getting about 1200 rounds each. Sometimes using Sierra 190-gr. HPMK's and other times using Sierra 200-gr. HPMK's. All with full-length sized Winchester cases and RWS large rifle primers (mildest ones made). Used IMR4350 powder with 65 or 66 grains for the 190's and 64 or 65 grains for the 200's. Bullets were seated about .010-inch longer than throat contact.

Shot two 15-shot test groups at 1000 yards with each new barrel and 12-pound lot of powder to go with it. Groups ranged from 5 to 7 inches across all four barrels; the last one shot the best.

I don't think a 5-shot group tells much about accuracy. 10-shot groups are better and 15-shot groups are very close to reality. Any one of several reasons could be the cause of your dilema; barrel, bedding, sights, handloading process/tools. And if you're like me, I can't shoot a .30-.338 very accurate off a bench with any type of support; I gotta lay down on my belly slung up in a good prone position resting the stock's forend and toe on sand bags to test loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.