200gr ELD-X

freebird63

I went out before the elections and bought a bunch of boxes of hornady 30 cal 200gr ELD-X bullets. Like all other hornday bullets I have ever reloaded/shot they did good for me.
Well for some reason these do not shoot well, tried different primers, different powders, different seating depths

But on a lighter note my gun seems to like berger 215gr and 230gr bullets, which is funny as none of my other guns ever shot them well.
What experience is everyone else who reloads these having??
Need to get my 300RUM dialed in.

63, in the same boat. Bought some 212 ELD-X, but they won't shoot accurately in the three rifles I've tried them. The 30-06 likes 168 Berger, the 300Wby likes the 210 Berger and the 30/378Wby is crazy accurate with the 215 Berger. The unwritten rule is, no two barrels will like the same load, but I can only get Hornady bullet to shoot well in a .270 Win. I've noticed the overall length measurement (not COAL) of the Hornady bullet I've loaded are much less consistent than other brands. With the comparator they are fine. I always load using the comparator. Perhaps a run of bad luck with the Hornady or ?.

I have a bunch loaded up with H1000 and reloder 26 waiting for me to shoot a ladder with them... I guess I'll see how they do. Initial seating depth test while forming some virgin brass showed some promise.

I haven't had any luck with the eld series bullets in my 300rums (200 eld-x) or my 7stw (175 eld-x). My 30-06 seems to tolerate the 200 eld-x so I'll likely shoot them there. I have had great luck with the 143 eld-x in a 6.5 creed though. I have another box of those coming in from the bullet fairy today.
Take it for what it's worth but I see them as harder to tune in the bigger magnums.

Mostly stock Savage 110
3.42" COAL
200gr eldx
Sig brass
CCI 250
H1000
220yds

Attachments

• 20170703_133141.jpg
    20170703_133141.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 410
I've gotten all that I've tried to shoot which includes the 143s, 145s, 175s, 178s, 200s, 212s. I've attached one of my targets for the 143s that was the best group in a ladder test. I tend to treat the ELD-Xs like Bergers and seat them 0.005" off. I've shot these in a 260 Rem, 6.5mm WSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 28 Nosler, 30-06, and 300 WSM. If they would come out with a decent 338 bullet I'd shoot them too. Some guys mentioned that they weight sort theirs but I checked and found a 0.6 grain weight spread and that only changes velocities by 2 fps (per Quick Load) so you don't really need to do that.

Attachments

• 260 Rem RL-26 001.jpg
    260 Rem RL-26 001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 261
I've gotten all that I've tried to shoot which includes the 143s, 145s, 175s, 178s, 200s, 212s. I've attached one of my targets for the 143s that was the best group in a ladder test. I tend to treat the ELD-Xs like Bergers and seat them 0.005" off. I've shot these in a 260 Rem, 6.5mm WSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 28 Nosler, 30-06, and 300 WSM. If they would come out with a decent 338 bullet I'd shoot them too. Some guys mentioned that they weight sort theirs but I checked and found a 0.6 grain weight spread and that only changes velocities by 2 fps (per Quick Load) so you don't really need to do that.

I've been trying to keep the bullets a bit further off the lands than that... especially with my stw as they will be over 3.9" long (standard remmy mag. on rifle )if loaded to .010" off... I have test loads loaded for ten thou. off now... just got to wait the weather out to shoot them... I'll shoot my 200 eld-x in my 30-06... the 300 rums love the hdy 225 hpbt too much to worry about it there...

I've been trying to keep the bullets a bit further off the lands than that... especially with my stw as they will be over 3.9" long (standard remmy mag. on rifle )if loaded to .010" off... I have test loads loaded for ten thou. off now... just got to wait the weather out to shoot them... I'll shoot my 200 eld-x in my 30-06... the 300 rums love the hdy 225 hpbt too much to worry about it there...

I haven't even checked to see how far I'd have to be out to be even close to the lands. I started at max mag length and worked my way in using the Berger seating depth test. I know I'm well over .15 jump and it put 3 different charge weights into .37" at 220yds. The 4th charge weight in that series had a slight mishap that may or may not have induced about .015" of run-out...

Using the ELDX bullet, I shoot the 143 gr in my 6.5-284 Norma and the 200 gr in my 300 WSM. Both give me a ragged hole that is around 0.3 moa. But, it took me some time to find these loads. The ELDX bullets are very finicky and vary in seating depth. Some calibers like a lot of jump, others not so much. Pay attention to the recommended twist rate, too. I went through 2 boxes trying to get the 175 gr in my 7 STW to shoot better than 1 moa. I couldn't, which was most likely to my slower twist rate.
Use the Berger seating depth protocol to find your best COAL. Then work up you load from there and you should find a very nice sub moa load.

I just finished working up a load in my 300 Wby with 212 ELD-X. The more Retumbo I poured in the better they shot. Getting 1/2 to 3/4 MOA right at 3k fps. I'm excited to see how they perform on big game.

I had absolutely no trouble getting the 212 to shoot in my RUM. They shot great from day one. I found that they will tolerate some jump. Mine tightened right up at .090" off during a Berger seat depth test with a final tune to bring them all together at .095" off the lands. I run them right at 3100 fps.

I have a bunch loaded up with H1000 and reloder 26 waiting for me to shoot a ladder with them... I guess I'll see how they do. Initial seating depth test while forming some virgin brass showed some promise.
When you get those Reloder 26 loads tested, let me know. I'm also trying to figure out starting loads using this new powder (at least to me). I have a .19 jump to lands due to magazine limits but i'm still able to start at 3.950 COAL. Yep, OAL is 4.140
Thanks.

When you get those Reloder 26 loads tested, let me know. I'm also trying to figure out starting loads using this new powder (at least to me). I have a .19 jump to lands due to magazine limits but i'm still able to start at 3.950 COAL. Yep, OAL is 4.140
Thanks.

I had an issue with the ladder and have to redo it. Problem is, the H1000 shot so well I loaded another 30 with finer charge increments and still haven't found time to shoot them. And I need more bullets...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.