20 Nosler

Pauleye

I'm thinking of making a bolt gun with this round for PD and coyote. Anyone with experience or opinion
Thanks

I'm thinking of making a bolt gun with this round for PD and coyote. Anyone with experience or opinion
Thanks
Nosler was supposed to be coming out with a 20 Nosler but they've yet to do so.

I know PT&G has a 20 Nosler reamer but make sure you look at the dimensions of the reamer print because the 20 Nosler, as Nosler has designed it, is not just a necked down version of their 22 Nosler. The real 20 Nosler has slightly more case capacity than their 22 Nosler because they lengthened the base to shoulder by almost .100 thou. I'm guessing they designed it that way so you can't chamber a 20 Nosler, if Nosler ever comes out with it, in a 22 Nosler.

Since Nosler has yet to release their 20 Nosler, obviously, there is no 20 Nosler brass available and if you tried to make it from their 22 Nosler brass you'd end up with some severally stretched brass with a very short neck.

So, if you decide to have one built, make sure you get the appropriate reamer that is based off of the necked down 22 Nosler.

Personally, I'd skip it and go with a 20 Practical which is just a necked down 223. There is much better brass available and you can use 223 bushing dies. Or, if shooting factory ammo is something you want to keep as an option, go 204 Ruger.

I'm a big 20 caliber fan and have a couple of them, a 20-222 for shooting the lighter bullets and a 20-250 for shooting the 55 grainers. I had a CZ 527 204 I just sold to a buddy this past winter and for a factory gun shooting factory ammo, that thing shot very well.

I'm with you, have a barrel, set of dies but still waiting for brass. The 22 Nosler brass is different so waiting on Nosler for the correct brass. I was told by a Nosler sales rep was to come out in 2018 but as we know didn't happen. When it does come out I'm confident will make a great little PD and coyote round.

What is the difference between the as of yet hypothetical .20 nosler and the .22 nosler apart from neck diameter? I'm intrigued. Also, what's the difference in case capacity between this 20 nosler and the 204 ruger? provided the differences aren't that substantial would it be accurate to compare the .22 nosler and the .222 remington magnum that the 204 is based on?

It's my understanding the 20 Nosler should be a little more efficient than the 204 Ruger and therefore will be a little faster. I love my 204 R. but there are several more efficient 20's that i enjoy as well. We'll see if they ever really do come out with a 20 Nosler or if the 20 cal. rage is fading and Nosler puts it on the back burner for ever.

The 22 Nosler has case capacity of 34.70gr H2O, 20 Nosler has the shoulder pushed forward .087 and a case capacity around 39gr H2O. The 204 Ruger is right around 31gr H2O.

In theory, the "true" 20 Nosler, if it's made to the specs that have been pre-released, should easily shoot the fastest of the three.

I had a fast twist 20-250 built about a year ago to shoot the 55gr Bergers. They shoot extremely well and a 20-250 will definitely shoot faster than any of the above mentioned, but, the downside to the 20-250 is they aren't going to be long for barrel life. I'm anticipating the barrel life of mine to, maybe, be somewhere around 600, or less.

I second the 20 practical. I've been playing with mine all summer and I'm having a blast. It's so much fun and cheap to shoot I may just make another for friends and family to shoot.

It is ancient but I appreciate the heads up. I bought 500 pieces, if it shows up I'll go forward and finish a build I started back in 2019. I've had dies and all ingredients except the brass. If I do receive the brass I will need to order a reamer. So amazing, a Nosler rep told me they never went forward and manufactured brass after getting SAAIMI approval back in 2017. Will see what happens. Thanks again.

Got the brass, found a reamer so ready to go with the 20 Nosler
Did you check length against 22 Nosler brass? Just curious as I almost ordered some myself. I told myself the 20BR needs attention and not another ew project.

Yup, that why I've waited. The 20 is quite a bit longer than the 22 and therefore one can't be chambered into the other for safety. The 20 Nosler holds easy 2-2.5 grains more powder. Neither will cycle well in normal 223 magazine due to larger diameter of case therefore I'm building mine on a single shot action. Ordered a PacNor 3 grove 9 twist barrel. I'm expecting good results with 55 gr Bergers. We'll see