20 MOA Scope Base

450hunter

lightbulbFirst, I'm new to the long range shooting. I have a 338 RUM with a Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 scope. If I used a 20 MOA base mount would I still be able to zero my rifle @ 100 yards. If I remember right my scope has 64 MOA adjustment. I'm not sure how you figure that out. Thanks for any help in advance and I'm open for a education.

lightbulbFirst, I'm new to the long range shooting. I have a 338 RUM with a Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 scope. If I used a 20 MOA base mount would I still be able to zero my rifle @ 100 yards. If I remember right my scope has 64 MOA adjustment. I'm not sure how you figure that out. Thanks for any help in advance and I'm open for a education.

Yes you should be able to. If your scope has 64 MOA (-32, 0, +32) of total elevation, ideally it should (???) yield ~52 MOA (20 MOA + 32 MOA) of up adjustment for those long ranges.

Good luck!

I agree with FEENIX, you should be able to zero. Especially if your scope is not mounted to high. Get the best base you can afford. When you get it mount the two front screws, and look to see if the rear of the base has a gap between it and the action. If does and you dont bed the rear part of the base, it wont have 20 moa of elevation in it.

Yes, I've never had any problem zeroing at 100 yds while using a 20 MOA base and I've used scopes with much less adjustment than 64 MOA.

I agree with FEENIX, you should be able to zero. Especially if your scope is not mounted to high. Get the best base you can afford. When you get it mount the two front screws, and look to see if the rear of the base has a gap between it and the action. If does and you dont bed the rear part of the base, it wont have 20 moa of elevation in it.

+1 on bedding the rail ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/d6RopWI0-GE?t=103[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.